Spot the 'deliberate' mistake

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
There have been a few of these just recently, so I thought I'd add my own.

Been doing a PIR at school this week, and came across this DB.

I won't give too much away to see who can spot something wrong with this installation.

IMGP3530.jpg

Sponsored Links
Didn't know that Square D stuff had the busbar at the top..

Can't be sure because of the angle, but aren't there more MCBs/RCBOs in use than there are cpcs in the earth bar?

And what's with all those black wires with red tape on? And those taped-up ends on the right?

And why can I see brown wires but no blues?

I can't say too much yet, but just one thing.

They arn't browns, they are red VIRs ;)

Sponsored Links
Neutrals are fine.

I think BAS might be sniffing along the right lines.

Looks short on cpc's. Can't see what's happening on the right hand
side of the neutral bar. Are those group of cables (with the red tape
on by the rcbo neutral) connected to the neutral bar?

That's a nicely chewed incoming neutral...

Yeah, I noticed a distinct lack of cpc's, I guess the conduit is meant to be earthed, but would not trust continuity via the conduit itself. The method of union leaves a lot to be desired (understatement!!) & there are no individual cpc's run into the conduit.

Bit bothered by the neutrals marked red too...

The two cpc's connected to the earth bar feed the new circuit connected to the r/hand RCBO, a 16A radial, or a RF circuit?

The l/hand RCBO seems to be connected to rubber singles with no cpc. Is that a 16A rating too? If so, is the imperial stuff up to it?

And those cables that disappear through the back?? I can see the metalclad board is protected, but surely any cables exiting the CU that way (other than the pvc) would not be run with a cpc. :eek:

Were there conduits coming into the old DB back entry that have been hacked off?

Double :eek: ....

Other than repairs with wrong coloured tape and bad stripping of SWA the thing which seems to be very wrong is the cables up the conduits?

Maybe I am wrong but have we got neutrals up one conduit and lines up the other? If so I bet it hums a bit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back