Spot the 'deliberate' mistake

Sponsored Links
It used to be common practice to use the conduit as the CPC. The connection of the conduit into this board doesn't look very good tho.
I imagine there is more conduits hidden behind this board? There doesn't appear to be any CPCs heading that way to earth the conduits if they are.
The conduit on the left looks like it is plastic egatube.

Without seeing a bit more of it I think it looks like placcy conduit - maybe RF has a pic?

Sponsored Links
So come on did I get main fault do the line and neutral go through different holes in a ferrous box? I had Siemens do that once with a 300A supply. Oh what a noise. But with such a small supply may be hum not so loud but would expect it to overheat?

All the rcbos ive worked on have the neutral connection at the rear, the rcbo on the rhs looks as though the neutrals and lines are connected reverse polarity ?

the only circuits that appear to be earthed are the ones connected to the RCBO's

The two cpc's connected to the earth bar feed the new circuit connected to the r/hand RCBO, a 16A radial, or a RF circuit?

It used to be common practice to use the conduit as the CPC. The connection of the conduit into this board doesn't look very good tho.
I imagine there is more conduits hidden behind this board? There doesn't appear to be any CPCs heading that way to earth the conduits if they are.

Yeah, I noticed a distinct lack of cpc's, I guess the conduit is meant to be earthed, but would not trust continuity via the conduit itself. The method of union leaves a lot to be desired (understatement!!) & there are no individual cpc's run into the conduit........And those cables that disappear through the back?? I can see the metalclad board is protected, but surely any cables exiting the CU that way (other than the pvc) would not be run with a cpc.

Were there conduits coming into the old DB back entry that have been hacked off?

Just smugly pointing out that I had commented on matt & 123's comments before. :LOL: By 123, I am referring to Spark123, not yourself.

I should be more careful.

Just smugly pointing out that I had commented on matt & 123's comments before. :LOL: By 123, I am referring to Spark123, not yourself.

I should be more careful.

Ah I see, I wasn't offended, just curious ! perhaps there should be a emoticon for "smug" .......perhaps it would be a picture of than Ban all sheds character !

What a lot of questions :LOL:

The fuseboard is metal clad, and all the line and neutral conductors for each circuit are run in the same tube, so no problem there.

The socket circuits apper to be wired in 7/.029, so should be OK.

The tube coming into the left of the board is PVC conduit supplying a ring final circuit on a 16A RCBO. It is fairly new, and that is where the CPCs go.

Now here is the real problem.

Many of the sockets supplied from this board look like this:
IMGP3517.jpg

They are relying on the old steel conduit as the CPC.

Not the best photo, but behind this DB is the original flush mounted fusebox where the conduits terminate.
IMGP3528.jpg

Now, which ever numpty did this board change didn't bother to take a link from the earth bar in the new DB to the conduits in the old DB.

The readings for R1+R2 at all the circuits averaged between 2.5Ω to 4Ω.

Also, circuit one supplies a socket on a 6A MCB. The cleaner was complaining to us that her vacuum keeps tripping this socket :rolleyes:

The RCBOs are connected up properly for polarity.

Oh and one of the conduits leaving the top left of the board, the lock nut wasn't on even finger tight :eek:

So I was right!!!

Another smug :LOL: !!

That same school in Bradford, Rob?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back