spot the errors..

The left hand busbar has got an earth symbol above it, yet a neutral feeding it! :eek:
I presume that was the point of TTC's question. The case of the CU was clearly not intended to have as many neutral bars as this one needed - so someone (either the 'manufacturer'/ assembler or the user) has had to 'adapt it'.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
Going back to that board.

Is that a do it yourself "17th Edition" board?

Maybe that's why the busbar numbering is wrong, 'cos somebody chopped up the busbars to make two neutral bars?

DIY as in I did it ? No. Straight from wholesaler. .

The left hand busbar has got an earth symbol above it, yet a neutral feeding it! :eek:
I presume that was the point of TTC's question. The case of the CU was clearly not intended to have as many neutral bars as this one needed - so someone (either the 'manufacturer'/ assembler or the user) has had to 'adapt it'.

Kind Regards, John

:rolleyes: i despair.

Sponsored Links
That is weird. The picture in their catalogue is the other way round.

http://www.proteusswitchgear.co.uk/downloads/proteuscatalogue-websections-consumerunitdivision.pdf

p47

So where did you get it from?

pg 47 of your link.
my board
look same to me.
i got it from C.E.F.

If you look at the L and N markings at the top of the main switch in the catalogue picture, they are the correct way round. On your unit the markings are back to front.

DIY as in I did it ? No. Straight from wholesaler. .
:rolleyes: i despair.
I think that's very unfair, and your despair unfounded. I was indicating what I understood as the thinking (that CU had been adapted/modified either by the supplier or yourself) behind TTC's question, obviously before you answered his question. You have subsequently indicated that it wasn't you - so that leaves only one possibility! Despite what your defensiveness seems to imply you think, no-one is pointing any fingers at you.

Kind Regards, John

I don't know what 85% of your post meant. But I understood not pointing finger bit. Thx.
You're welcome, but the other 85% was not really complicated. I was merely saying that TTC was presumably assuming that either the supplier or yourself must have adapted an 'old' enclosure to take more neutral bars than it was designed for - so that once you indicated it was not you that had done it, that only left the supplier!

Kind Regards, John

Quite apart from the interesting matter (labelling) being discussed, isn't the amount of space (or lack of it) below the MCBs a bit ridiculous?
I'd rather have usable space on the load side of the breakers than useless space that isn't needed for the live bar.

But that setup is just dangerous - IMO it should be banned and all stock pulled off the shelves. Can't see importer/distributor caring much.

Easy to see how the neutral/earth labelling has got so screwed up. It's clearly a non-split board moulding wise that's been adapted for split board use.

But who to report it to ?

Quite apart from the interesting matter (labelling) being discussed, isn't the amount of space (or lack of it) below the MCBs a bit ridiculous?
I'd rather have usable space on the load side of the breakers than useless space that isn't needed for the live bar.
'Within reason', I would agree (particularly in this day of RCBOs), but I personally think this one goes a bit beyond 'within reason'. As we've seen, it makes connecting 'tails' to the load side of the main switch, and RCDs neutrals, a bit of a mission - and it would also be quite fun if there were bottom-entry cables.
Easy to see how the neutral/earth labelling has got so screwed up. It's clearly a non-split board moulding wise that's been adapted for split board use. But who to report it to ?
Quite.

Kind Regards, John

This thread should be made a sticky to warn people off using proteus.

Even those 50 quid BG CUs that B&Q are knocking out are better quality than this tat.

It says it all when their RCBOs don't actually fit all their CUs :rolleyes:

I took great pleasure in ripping this junk out and fitting a proper CU in it's place. :D

IMGP1658.jpg

This thread should be made a sticky to warn people off using proteus.

Even those 50 quid BG CUs that B&Q are knocking out are better quality than this tat.

It says it all when their RCBOs don't actually fit all their CUs :rolleyes:

I took great pleasure in ripping this junk out and fitting a proper CU in it's place. :D

IMGP1658.jpg

I couldn't agree more RF, but surely that's just a limp wristed installer on the neutral bar in that pic rather than the fact that it's a Proteus?! I have pics of other makes of CU that I still happily fit that look the same as that (not my installs obviuosly!)

It was where the vertical neutral copper link met the neutral terminal rail, the copper bar had fractured.

It was a portakabin type building, so probably caused by vibration during delivery, but still nice to confine another proteus to the bin. :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back