spot the errors..

Is that burnt out proteus fed in 2.5mm or is it 4.00mm? Either way, it doesn't look overly large

Sponsored Links
Looks like a typical portacabin type install to me - It does look like 2.5mm to me, although this wouldn't be why the neutral bar overheated...

Is that burnt out proteus fed in 2.5mm or is it 4.00mm? Either way, it doesn't look overly large

I think it was a 2.5mm² 20A radial. It was a bit on the small side really, but just about squeaked through.

Sponsored Links
Looks like a typical portacabin type install to me - It does look like 2.5mm to me, although this wouldn't be why the neutral bar overheated...

No, quite. However seems a little small to be feeding sockets, lights and two heater circuits, especially given that the sockets have been installed as a ring

I think it was a 2.5mm² 20A radial. It was a bit on the small side really, but just about squeaked through.
Yes, I would have thought that what looks like 64A worth of MCBs (including two 'heater' circuits) on a 20A supply is pushing things a bit. Were you able to ascertain what had, or probably had, resulted in the overheating?

Kind Regards, John

It was where the vertical neutral copper link met the neutral terminal rail, the copper bar had fractured.

;)

The loading wasn't that bad. There were a couple of 2kW panel heaters, a computer and 2 fluorescent lights.

Not ideal, and I'd have put in a larger supply.

It was where the vertical neutral copper link met the neutral terminal rail, the copper bar had fractured.
;)
Sorry, I obviously missed that - otherwise I wouldn't have asked!
The loading wasn't that bad. There were a couple of 2kW panel heaters, a computer and 2 fluorescent lights.
Fair enough, but that didn't leave much for the sockets circuit. As you say (and the same would have gone for me):
Not ideal, and I'd have put in a larger supply.

Kind Regards, John

Interesting. When you post about a specific manufacturer there's usually a bit of support or a fan or two amongst the slagging.
Seems nobody has any love for proteus.

Interesting. When you post about a specific manufacturer there's usually a bit of support or a fan or two amongst the slagging. Seems nobody has any love for proteus.
That's certainly true of everyone here who has commented so far (I have no personal experience of them, so can't). However, as with so many situations like this, one can but presume that a good few people continue to buy them (they've been around for a good while) - but maybe only the once!

Kind Regards, John

MK are ok, but quality has gone down.

I find them ok to work with, a reasonable amount of space inside and look nice on the outside.

quality wise though, they have gone down though, one time I was tightening up an MCB terminal, on top, and because once you get to a certain tightness the terminal twists a bit... the plastic broke covering it on top.

I want to try a Hager one sometime... they look good and read nice things about them.

Was a little put off of wylex after their MCB recall.

MK are ok, but quality has gone down.
I want to try a Hager one sometime... they look good and read nice things about them.

I love the Hager MCB's with their sprung loaded metal retaining clips, too many other brands use flimsy plastic clips. Merlin Gerin (pre-Schneider) are terrible for the clips going brittle and snapping off leaving floating MCB's

Yep I vote hager too. Did this lovely install using their gear a couple of years ago.

5F744959-745D-451C-AB5C-5B90E53464C5-34645-00003744F701DC81.jpg

It was still work in progress at this point, but you get the idea. :)

That is nice, the Schneider Isobar boards are nice, and they do some great options, but £££££

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back