Squirrel Repellant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Any ideas please, I fancy a DIY electronic gadget that I could fire remotely from inside the house, but any other remedies to stop the varmints attacking the bird food containers would be welcome.

Sponsored Links
Any ideas please, I fancy a DIY electronic gadget that I could fire remotely from inside the house, but any other remedies to stop the varmints attacking the bird food containers would be welcome.

Either accept that the Squirrels are welcome to the food, or stop putting the food out.

I used welded mesh covered with 1.4" netting wire. I covered the top with a piece of plastic bottle to stop them reaching in and pulling food towards them. Food needs to be in the centre and out of arms reach. I also covered the supporting stake with split large bottles to make the stake too smooth for a grip. It took nearly a month of refinement before I got the better of them.

Attachments

• Feeder.JPG
    Feeder.JPG
    179.8 KB · Views: 103
Sponsored Links
I use these signs and have 1 up on every tree and building on my property. Since I put them up I've not had any trouble.

image.png

On the basis that "plumbing" relates to lead (plumbum) can I suggest for eliminating the grey variety you consider obtaining a lead pellet ejector operated by release of compressed air and rated at 12ftlbs. By depositing said pellets into said varment by said device you will be complying with the policy of supporting the red variety.

Are they grey or red?. I'm also in Cumbria and there are still some red squirrels about. If they are red then please try to go down the 'live and let live' route as they might not be around for much longer. If they are grey then use them as target practice.
I'm sure you can get squirrel-proof bird feeders.

Electric fences scaled down to squirrel size and taking account of their amazing acrobatic ability can be very effective. Very very low voltage ( strong tingle ) to deter them from going further toward the food source is also "safe" for pets. Can be left on at all times Higher voltage can result in a quick and humane death to the intruder be it foe or friend so can only be used when the area is supervised by a person with a switch to kill the voltage or the intruder.

As Tony will tell you this is not a job that you can do yourself, you need to be GSR (Grey squirrel Repellor)

As an ex-Cumbrian I encourage the Reds (which we don't have in NE)
Have made up something like BBs, which seems to work but will wait and see.
Will send pic if it's worthwhile. As an animal lover I have no desire to harm the little blighters, I admire their perseverance, but if I wanted to feed them I would put up a squirrel feeder, not a bird feeder!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back