Staircase skirting edge to plasterboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi folks,

Bear with me as I try to describe this as best as I can, pictures paint a thousand words though so please see those too!

In a relatively new build (5yrs old, housebuilder was junk, lots of issues) and it's time to tackle the gaps appearing between the wooden 'large' skirting that runs up the staircase against the plasterboard+painted walls.
We want to sort this and then paint all the staircase walls so this needs resolving first.

Would I be right in thinking we just scrape off the existing silicone/sealant that's there and use a wide bead to re-place. Any recommendations for the right type or is Everflex 450 or similar as good as any for this purpose?

Also how do I solve the wood coming apart on the skirting board itself? Where the top of the board separated from the base.

(Side note, should I be concerned about this amount of shrinkage/movement, or is that gap between wooden skirting board and plasterboard wall okay/normal?)

Thanks as always!
Andy

skirting1.jpg
skirting2.jpg
skirting3.jpg

Sponsored Links
Looks pretty usual, the stairs might of been left out in the wet / house was built quick etc and as they dry out this happens. It certainly could be alot neater.

Have a look at this YouTube channel that has plenty of practical advice:

https://youtube.com/c/PaintingandDecorating

Once you have stabilised it - you can just use decorators caulk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back