Star Delta Help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a 3 phase planer in my workshop and recently the star delta starter went faulty so I bought a pre made open frame type like the picture below ready to fit back in to the enclosure..

The problem is this one does not have a start, stop or emergency stop button and so will now need to be on a remote button station.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to wire these in to what ive bought?

Thanks

open_chassis_sds1_7.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Can you post a link to the new starter or post the wiring diagram which came with it?

I have found there is no standard wiring diagram as such. I remember having to completely re-wire starters in order to get it to work with float controls also some are wired where the overload takes full current others where overload only takes half of the current. As a result one does have to be careful ensuring all is how it seems.

It would seem from what I can see input to MCB far left and output from overload the bit that drops down further to UVW and then XYZ can go to middle contactor although since linked to end contactor you could also use that. Above UVW there seems to be the connections for start button but without having it in my hands and tracing wires it is very hard to tell.

In the main pre-wired units do come with instructions it really does need these to work out exactly what you have. Google "star/delta wiring diagram" select images and you will find 100's of options it may be easier to just select one and wire as shown.

Sponsored Links
I asked because it looks like a Hager breaker. I know Telemecanique have had problems with 3rd-party starters using some of their components failing in service due to incorre3ct assembly and lack of co-ordination.

Surely it's unlikely Telemec would use a Hager breaker as Telemec is now schneider?

Soon we won't have brands to choose from, it will be Schneider & Honeywell

Surely it's unlikely Telemec would use a Hager breaker as Telemec is now schneider?

Soon we won't have brands to choose from, it will be Schneider & Honeywell
Schneider and Eaton, more likely!

That was my point, if that's a Hager breaker then it isn't a Schneider starter. At least one of the Chinese copiers used to use a genuine Telemecanique timer on the front to cover their copied contactors.

I have a 3 phase planer in my workshop and recently the star delta starter went faulty so I bought a pre made open frame type like the picture below ready to fit back in to the enclosure..

The problem is this one does not have a start, stop or emergency stop button and so will now need to be on a remote button station.

Can anyone point me in the right direction on how to wire these in to what ive bought?

Thanks

open_chassis_sds1_7.jpg
When you say the existing one went faulty, what was wrong with it? Loose connection? Faulty component?

It would generally be far easier to replace the bit which wasn't working rather than faff about providing a separate pushbutton station etc.

S/D starters are pretty basic controls, shouldn't be too difficult to diagnose whats not working.

Thank you to everyone for your replies... there was too much wrong with the old one and it was many years old. I bought a Cropton one yesterday from the local wholesaler and it was pretty much a straight swap.

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back