Start up problem

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I start my computer (Advent 7099 laptop) the screen is black until windows starts. There is no bootup info or advent logo so I cannot get into bios setup or change boot mode. Once windows starts every thing is OK except the ethernet port which does not work. I need to look at the BIOS to check ethernet settings, Any help appreciated. TIA

Sponsored Links
Should be able to access the BIOS by pressing "Del" key (probably!) while the system is booting regardless of lack of screen info -the screen info may have been turned off in BIOS. I think the BIOS likely to be AMI

Just keep hitting the Del key during the boot process

Thanks for the replies. The DEL key did nothing, neither did f8. However, pleased to report problem solved. I had been running an external monitor on extended desktop and disconnected the monitor without changing the settings. Resetting to laptop display only, switching off and leave overnight for complete shutdown and everything back to normal next day.
On my other problem, has anyone else had ethernet problems on the 7099? It reports "cable disconnected" when the cable is firmly in the socket, yet when I remove the cable and connect to another laptop it connects with no problem. The ethernet connection says that it is enabled.

Sponsored Links
..... The DEL key did nothing, neither did f8. However, pleased to report problem solved. I had been running an external monitor on extended desktop and disconnected the monitor without changing the settings.
Mine was a guess about the DEL key (after previously playing with an Advent system). Igorian however had found some information relating to your model that confirmed DEL key to enter BIOS. Have you tried to enter BIOS since you discovered the external monitor issue?

On my other problem, has anyone else had ethernet problems on the 7099? It reports "cable disconnected" when the cable is firmly in the socket, yet when I remove the cable and connect to another laptop it connects with no problem. The ethernet connection says that it is enabled.
What does Device Manager tell you about your Network adapters? Goto Start/Right Click My Computer/Properties/Hardware tab/Device Manager. Click on the "+" sign next to Network Adapters - what do you see?
It is possible that the driver for the device may be missing or corrupt - check out igorians link and scroll down to driver section if this is the case

Back