steel rsj, open plan room.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi there, i have knocked through to a new extension that i built with no problems, next i knocked down the wall between my kicthen and lounge the steel i used was 302x102 i beam (i had this left over from the other knock through) i am now finding that the floor on one end of the house seems a tiny bit bouncy !!!!!! the other end of the house is fine. the beam was on brick pillars with pad stones under each end as per the rear knock through.

is this a simple fix with banging slate under each floor joist ???

please help my 2.5 year old son loves to jump and yes you have guessed it it is in his bedroom where the floor seem to have the bounce/movement !!!!!

any helpers ???????????

many thanks
kev :D :D :D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
If you insert a beam and remove the wall below, and the floor above has movement that it didn't used to have, then you haven't supported it effectively.

Did your BCO inspect and pass the beam installation?

Do you mean there is a bit of bounce in the floor or do you mean actual movement? I'm confused why you think sticking a slither of slate in somewhere would cure bounce?

I doubt it is the steel beam (302mm deep! :eek:) that is the prob', it will be down to the quality of the work.

Sponsored Links
hi again yes it was passed my building inspector, the wall that i took out had ben muckek about with and it look as though there had been 3 internal door moves over the past 80 years, and i mean a bit of bounce to the floor but only on one side of the beam ????

many thanks to any helpers :)

kev

I would get your BCO back, show him the bounce, and ask him if that's acceptable.

If he says not, haul back the bloke who installed it and ask him put it right.

Well it isn't going to be the beam - not at that size.

Bounce on one side of where the beam is? Doesn't make sense to me as being linked to the beam install, unless the joists are not continuous over the wall and the bearings of one set of joists have not been adequately packed up.

And, lettuce man, what FMT says is perfectly true. The point he was trying to make is that compliance with BRegs is not a panacea for a functioning structure without some quibbles.

Bounce on one side of where the beam is doesn't make any sense to me either, but I'm not confident that this is an accurate description of wot's happening.

garageboy must have had some motive to create this topic - it was his second post, so he's not just chatting with us - so I suspect that the symptom is real rather than imagined. If so, then it's a matter of homing in on the symptom and asking enough questions to find the most likely cause.

Regarding BR compliance, the reason I suggested to garageboy that he ask the BCO was that he would have financial recourse (i.e. under 'warranty') IF the BCO thought the deflection was unacceptable and IF someone else fitted the beam. So I agree that fmt was correct, but it was also the polar opposite of being helpful.

Regarding BR compliance, the reason I suggested to garageboy that he ask the BCO was that he would have financial recourse (i.e. under 'warranty') IF the BCO thought the deflection was unacceptable and IF someone else fitted the beam. So I agree that fmt was correct, but it was also the polar opposite of being helpful.
Sorry but BCO's have no structural training and are subsequently not qualified to measure acceptable deflection in floors, a BCO will have have little to add other than his opinion which will count (in terms of claiming under the builders PI) for no more than any of the other opinions posted from this forum or any other. You're suggestion to get him back in shows a lack of understanding as to the role of BC, he's there to approve the works as they progress not offer a guess as to whether the floor should have been beefier to avoid any defelction. Did the OP specify that the floor must have no bounce whatsoever? I doubt it. The OP said the floor bounces when a small child jumps up and down upon it, that is perfectly normal in many floors that meet the regs. The OP's not told us what size the floor members are or spans are for the offending section of floor which would be a start and might actually get an answer to his question. We also don't know if its 2mm or 25mm! As mentioned already in the thread its likely a combination of getting away with the minimum complying sized joists (or whatever they are) and poor workmanship. Everyone wants everything done as cheaply and quickly as possible, you generally get what you pay for.

Are you referring to the same person who wrote this?

after reading this thread i feel i must apologise to goldberg for calling him a tw*t a few days ago.
If so, there's no need for you to be so envious - I have no doubt that he thinks "your a tw*t" (sic.).

hi again, the bounce is not really that bad just more noise from that side of the house than the other, i did used to have 1000's of records in the room before i changed it into my son bedroom, so maybe now that i have removed all of the equipment and records from the room the joist need to be packed up ???

i am very grateful for any help :)

many thanks
kev

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back