Stihl MS170 non starter

The business card / thick paper / postcard or whatever is fine for the flywheel / igniter gap.
When Stihl machines are new, they immediately use a 50:1 mix using their own oil if possible, but any quality two stroke mix is fine......I use Oregon but increasingly leaning towards the Aspen ready mixed two stroke fuel. That's until the E10 petrol starts to make its mark.
Your piston and barrel are an unknown quantity so I would lean towards a 40:1 mix - fpr sure it'll do no harm.
Just screw the base on tightly, I have a kosher T handled Stihl driver for this but what you suggest will be fine. Tighten the screws up gradually and diagonally of course.
John :)

Sponsored Links
No i dont have the service manual.
I also use Stihl 2 stroke oil.
I also use the 5% Ethanol fuel.
I will use 40:1 for a couple of tank refils.

Sponsored Links
Hi,
Saw all back together & started after a pull or two but when i moved the lever it wouldnt switch off.
Looking at the supplied photo can you see what ive done wrong.

Attachments

• 3853.jpg
    3853.jpg
    123.6 KB · Views: 75
The copper terminal with the wire needs to earth out on the bright throttle rod to turn it off.
It may just need pushing out of the clamp a little.
John

I had the spring wire piece the wrong side of the plastic choke rod.
Now when I operate it the two touch & engines dies.

What do I do in respect of running it in.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back