Stop the Boats, clear the Asylum backlog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Have a look. Do you think they would have got to me before they got away with my bike or should I just have had a polite word with them as ellal suggested? What would you have done?

Did you subsequently report it to the police? I'm sure they would have been interested in your CCTV.
Or has your confidence in the police sunk to such a low level, you thought, "what's the point"?

Did you subsequently report it to the police? I'm sure they would have been interested in your CCTV.
If you search my posts from years before you were a so-called 'new' member on here like you have done before, you will remember that I did and they had a good laugh about it.

If you search my posts from years before you were a so-called 'new' member on here like you have done before, you will remember that I did and they had a good laugh about it.
I haven't searched your posts before, on that issue, afaIr.

Sponsored Links
You said we don’t take a single refugee.
Did I?

Would it surprise you to know we now take none, zero, zilch, nada. Every person who lands without a prior application is an illegal immigrant who will either be sent back or sent to Rwanda (lol).

You think our fair share is none? But you want France to take more? Do you realise how stupid that sounds?

How many boat people have we accepted since the law changed? You want everyone to take more while we take less?

It looks like the Rwanda bill has no chance of becoming law.

It won’t get through the Lords
Sunak hasn’t got time to invoke parliament act to push it through and
ConservatIves don’t have a mandate for it - it’s not on their manifesto

and given the Conservatives have pushed through their illegal migrant bill, nobody arriving in a small boat can apply for asylum and they can’t be sent to Rwanda……so all their meddling has resulted in MORE staying.

We have a declining birth rate and an ever worsening ratio of working to retired, so not surprisingly govts want immigration, whilst telling the public they are busy cutting numbers.
Its a bit like baking a cake.
Why waste time and effort baking, when you can order a ready made one from Amazon prime.

It looks like the Rwanda bill has no chance of becoming law.

It won’t get through the Lords
Sunak hasn’t got time to invoke parliament act to push it through and
ConservatIves don’t have a mandate for it - it’s not on their manifesto

and given the Conservatives have pushed through their illegal migrant bill, nobody arriving in a small boat can apply for asylum and they can’t be sent to Rwanda……so all their meddling has resulted in MORE staying.
entirely predicted
That may also be true, but even if they do, it will get stuck in the Lords. I suspect he may have the numbers. Unless this is civil war No,3 and they want a new leader.
@Roy Bloom I think your googling took you in the wrong direction. This explains it https://publications.parliament.uk/pa/ld201719/ldselect/ldconst/28/2804.htm

Government can fast track a bill.
Parliament votes, amendments added etc.
It goes up to the Lords
Lords can sit on it, passing it back and forth. But not if it's a manifesto pledge.

This is why the comment on it not being a manifesto pledge is key.

entirely predicted
yes it was

the Rwanda scheme was never intended as a policy to actually work.

Boris Johnson admitted recently it was designed as a distraction….create an unworkable scheme, see it get rejected by the courts then use the right wing media to start blaming “leftie lawyers”, or “house of lords stopped us”

right wing populism…isn’t it wonderful

entirely predicted
The Salisbury-Addison Convention can be ignored by the Lords if they so decide.
it is not for the Government to assert the Convention, but rather for the House itself to follow it as it feels it should.
The Lords can ignore it, change it, or follow it as they feel inclined.

But I agree with Notch, it was never intended to work, it was a political ploy to blame A N Other for the failure of the government.

We can't have it both ways. Either the illegal immigrants are aware of the legal changes or they aren't.

I suspect increasingly there will be messages back saying "I've been told I can't claim asylum and will have to leave". Or "I'm being sent to a prison ship".

I'm an all year round sailor and I haven't been out for several weeks because of the weather. They'd be incredibly daft to try to cross even in calm conditions until April. The water gets its coldest in March. Survival unprotected, is around 10-15 minutes. If you are recovered head up, there is a high risk of heart failure. Even if you are recovered flat, within 15 minutes and not properly treated, survival is probably 20% or less.

From a human life point of view - at least they seem to be crossing on better boats. Fortunately the 70 seat DIY bin bag boats are being seen less and less.

We can't have it both ways. Either the illegal immigrants are aware of the legal changes or they aren't.
That's a very silly limited option.
A third obvious option which you discounted or failed to consider:
The asylum seekers are aware, but
a) they are equally determined
b) they are just as aware of the likelyhood of not being sent to Rwanda
c) They will just try again
d) any other options that I haven't thought of.

I suspect increasingly there will be messages back saying "I've been told I can't claim asylum and will have to leave". Or "I'm being sent to a prison ship".
I suspect that if any messages are sent back, and there's no indication that any are, they're messages of good luck, bon courage, iyi şanslar, etc.

I'm an all year round sailor and I haven't been out for several weeks because of the weather. They'd be incredibly daft to try to cross even in calm conditions until April. The water gets its coldest in March. Survival unprotected, is around 10-15 minutes. If you are recovered head up, there is a high risk of heart failure. Even if you are recovered flat, within 15 minutes and not properly treated, survival is probably 20% or less.
And just a few days ago you were trumpeting the success of the Rwanda policy due to no small boats crossing in the last few days. :rolleyes:

From a human life point of view - at least they seem to be crossing on better boats. Fortunately the 70 seat DIY bin bag boats are being seen less and less.
The government could reduce the risk even further by providing safe routes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back