Straw filled stud wall, fixing!?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What started as an easy job has turned into a nightmare. Moving a socket from one corner of the room to another (to stud wall) but appears this wall is full of compressed straw!?

Any ideas on how I can get a fixing!?

DF00D0E5-96A9-4208-93F5-01C206A364BD.jpeg
E86F0227-8AC5-4AF2-B445-BD112C5344AE.jpeg

Sponsored Links
Make the hole bigger than the socket box and push finish plaster into the straw, then finally the box into the plaster.

Use a dry lined backbox ?
You'll have to dig more staw out to get the tabs to turn nicely but doable.

How you cable it is a different matter.

Sponsored Links
I thought about that but getting the clips to lock in place seems a nightmare. I think I may have struck lucky as on the right hand side is a stud, so hopefully I can stick a screw into the stud and I’ll have to, dare I say it, grip fill the rest.

What a nightmare, never heard of straw in walls before.

Dry line back boxes are what you need. Getting the clips in place is quite straightforward.

Another vote for dryline box.

If you remove the straw where the clips go, it should stay.

Only use Appleby dryline boxes - most of the other brands ARE a struggle to use.

Thanks all, will give a dry line box a go tomorrow.

I’ll chase the cable via conduit, I take it there are no complications / hazards with the wall being filled with straw? The cable shouldn’t come into contact.

How are you going to chase the wall?

Being plasterboard, if do a long chase you will weaken the plasterboard.

You could try a series of holes and fish the cable behind, if you can hack some straw away. Otherwise you will wreck the plasterboard too much.

How are you going to chase the wall?

Being plasterboard, if do a long chase you will weaken the plasterboard.

You could try a series of holes and fish the cable behind, if you can hack some straw away. Otherwise you will wreck the plasterboard too much.

It’s a chase of around 18cm downwards into skirting, can’t see that interfering with the integrity of the plasterboard?

It’s a chase of around 18cm downwards into skirting, can’t see that interfering with the integrity of the plasterboard?
I wouldn't cut a slot that long in plasterboard personally, how would you fill it so it doesn't crack?

If it were me, I would use a long thin metal rod to make a hole through the straw most of the 18 inch run.

But work fast, as the straw will expand before you know it.

If it were me, I would use a long thin metal rod to make a hole through the straw most of the 18 inch run.
So probably would I (I certainly would not 'chase' plasterboard) - but, for the record, note that the OP said 18 cm, not 18 inches.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back