Submitting BR applications online

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody do this at present?

I came across a website that did have that facility but only some LA's have opted to be included on it, so it's not ideal.

Do you think the Planning Portal will ever consider going down this route or is it something already being discussed?

Would you take advantage of it if it was offered or are you not too bothered?

Sponsored Links
As you say its getting more popular, I looked at it a few years ago when it was in its infancy and it was a right load of hassle so never bothered pursuing it back then. My PJ’s are small enough that it’s not much effort tbh so I do those by post and where I work I have people to do it for me so never really taken much interest tbh! I think where we work we just send it all as PDFs to the local authority rather than going through the Submit-A-Plan website.

I’ll get round to it one of these days, when you’ve done it be sure to report back eh! :p

I emailed my contact at the PP and he has replied...

There has been much discussion on the subject of online submission of Building Regulations Applications through the Planning Portal.

Unfortunately even before all the cut backs this development project was withdrawn from our remit. Much delay had ensued due to the Building Regulation team in Department for Communities and Local Government procrastinating over the subject and when they asked us to investigate the project further it was found that Submit a Plan and other similar services being offered by Local Authority IT suppliers were very well established. Introducing free service into the market would have been potentially detrimental to established business. Also funding was beginning to become restrained.

There was some discussion on the directors Blog which can still be viewed at http://portaldirector.wordpress.com/2010/02/12/building-control-question/

I do not think that LPA's are not accepting of Submit a plan but budgets and individual managers views on online apps may prevent movement on this matter.

I've used Submitaplan for several years (since it started) and it is a simple as the planning portal.

The only problem is that only one of my local councils accept the full application (including drawing pdf's) online, and for the others, whilst you can fill the form in online, you still have to print it off and then put everything in the post ... which is nonsense

Sponsored Links
Yes! I found that too. And... I used to go on the website, locate the LA I'm dealing with, go through the normal procedures to find that particular LA does not accept BR applications online :rolleyes:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back