Summer house help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Im planning on building a summer house at the bottom of the garden but it’s going to be quite large approx 7m wide x 5m deep.
An the wife has now decided that she wants a apex tiled roof on top.
I was just wondering would this be possible on a timber frame an if so what timber would be required for the base and the walls to support the weight off the roof frame and the tiles.

thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
I would suspect 4x2 for walls is plenty. as for the base it depends on the span the joists are running.
Just google floor joist span table and you’ll see it all.

I’ve just used 5x2 floor joist at 2.5 m span for a 5x4 building.
There’s a little flexi but nothing major.
Although I would use 6x2 if going again

Last edited:
Cheers for the fast reply. So you reckon that a 4x2 wall would support the weight of the roof. Would I need a 4x2 every 500mm u think?

I’ve gone 400mm centres on everything

YouTube aliydymock or summat like that
He did a series on YouTube on building one but he was very thorough.

Sponsored Links
Have similar sized garage (but brick and block) used trussed roof and tiled , around £3k about 15 years ago so will be a little more these days .

Anorher thing I'd suggest is to build your walls in sections (to make them more handleable (if you ever try raising a 7 x 2 metre one piece wall frame off the ground on your own without any form of mechanical assistance, especially one that's built using wet treated timbers, you'll find out why!) Fix the frames together with full length binders top and bottom. The binders not only tie the frames together and help straighten the walls, they also strengthen the top of the frame, allowing it to carry a greater load (I.e a heavier roof). Remember that your roof needs to be strong enough to carry a load of snow and to be fixed down well enough to withstand storm winds. If using plywood to line the insides make your stud spacing 16 inches not 400mm (there is a difference) as plywood is sized in Imperial sizes

Last edited by a moderator:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back