Suspended toilet

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
All,

I am thinking about putting in a suspended toilet - but was advised against by an ex plumber as he said the floor wasn't strong enough. Question:

What is the difference between a normal toilet and suspended in terms of needing a stronger floor (as there was a toilet there before).

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Isn't a suspended toilet on that hangs on the wall and no pedestal? If so, what's the floor got to do with it?

Sponsored Links
The concealed suspending bracket is L shaped

It's (usually) not the floor strength that's the problem!

It's how the (stupid) thing attaches to and hangs from the wall.
If the gods had intended toilets to be suspended, we'd have evolved to c**p standing up!

The key issue is weight: if you sit down on something that is suspended about half a metre back, the effective load is amplified - and worst-case, the thing tears off the wall.

Most of the good makes have a very strong frame with 20mm bolts to support the pan. The best one I've come across includes a rectagular metal 'chassis' which carries the weight of the pan and houses the cistern. Because it's about 1.2 m high, the load on the wall behind is reduced.

You get what you pay for. But I have to ask again: why go to all this trouble when there are perfectly adequate pans which sit firmly on the floor?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back