Switching from Standard 2 Gang one way light switch to Wifi Smart Light Switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
20171214_210041.jpg
20171214_210053.jpg
20171214_215544.jpg
20171214_210041.jpg 20171214_210053.jpg 20171214_215544.jpg So, I'd like to swap my existing 2 gang light switch in the lounge (which operates wall lights and central light) to a wifi smart light switch that does the same.

Is there anyone on here that can advise as to whether how I think I show do this is right please?

I think if you look at the pictures that I have neutral wires that are capped at the back of the backbox. Therefore, I was thinking (but would welcome knowing if this is right), that I run a neutral cable from 'N' on the new switch back up into the collection of capped neutral wires at the back of the back box (or do all those neutral wires do different things?). I then take away the little cable that joins the 2 holes marked 'Common' on the old switch. The 2 wires which are left in the 'Common' holes on the old switch both go into 'L' on the new switch and the remaining 2 brown wires in holes marked '1 way' on the old switch go into L1 and L2 respectively.....

Thanks for any advice....

Sponsored Links
That new switch looks like a 1x2 way therefore it can't replace the existing 2x2way - being used as 2x1way. You need another switch or a different switch that can function as the existing. Also that switch will not fit into the back box

Sponsored Links
Well - I guess it might look like one to someone who doesn't understand what he is looking at.

The PDF for that model number shows this...

KS-601.jpg

...but it also says it is 32mm deep, so you'll need to chisel out some of the wall and set the box in deeper to fit it.

Well - I guess it might look like one to someone who doesn't understand what he is looking at.

Notice you were too frightened to say what it was, because it would have been a guess.

Still LOOKS like a 1x2way.

Because it is the law that things like this should have instructions with them (if bought from reputable suppliers).

I was going by the diagram from rsgaz and the OP's picture in which it looks like there is provision for L3 and L4 as well.

Notice you were too frightened to say what it was, because it would have been a guess.
I was not too frightened, and I saw no need to say what it was - I was just highlighting yet another mistake you have made because of your ignorance.

Still LOOKS like a 1x2way.
No - we know that it is an electronic switch, and therefore what it looks like to someone who understands what he is seeing is a 2-gang electronic switch.

Now - at this point you can keep on trying to rationalise away your mistake, and thus make yourself look a bigger and bigger fool, and have this go down as another of your egregiously ignorant screwups.

Or you can slink away, try to pretend that this never happened, and just have it go down as another of your egregiously ignorant screwups.

(I'm assuming, BTW, that just as with every previous occasion you will eschew the option of admitting you were wrong and apologising.)

Thanks guys. Old switch is 2 gang 1 way, as is new one. There is a diagram as well. I'm just struggling to understand which of the wires in the back box and old switch need to go where in the new one.

You've got 4 cables at the switch.

Two are the lighting circuit ones, in and out, so they have to remain connected or a bunch of your lights will stop working.

Two are the cables with switched lives going to the two lights.

The biggest problem you have (after the physical space needed) is that you only have 4 ports in the push-in connector for the neutrals, so you won't be able to just link it to the N terminal of the switch.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back