Switching from Standard 2 Gang one way light switch to Wifi Smart Light Switch

So, I'd like to....
Three equivalent ways of saying that are

• "Because of that I'd like to...."
  • "As a result I'd like to...."
  • "Therefore I'd like to...."

Please think about why you should start a sentence with "So...."

swap my existing 2 gang light switch in the lounge (which operates wall lights and central light) to a wifi smart light switch that does the same.
Yes, but why??

I think if you look at the pictures that I have neutral wires that are capped at the back of the backbox. Therefore, I was thinking (but would welcome knowing if this is right), that I run a neutral cable from 'N' on the new switch back up into the collection of capped neutral wires at the back of the back box (or do all those neutral wires do different things?). I then take away the little cable that joins the 2 holes marked 'Common' on the old switch. The 2 wires which are left in the 'Common' holes on the old switch both go into 'L' on the new switch and the remaining 2 brown wires in holes marked '1 way' on the old switch go into L1 and L2 respectively.....
You'll need to put one of the blues into the switch, along with a wire from there to the connector block.

Sponsored Links
Yes, but why??

I suppose it will save him getting off the settee to switch the light, he just has to grab his phone.
In my experience though the phone will be on charge in the kitchen so he will still have to get off the settee to get his phone.

Sponsored Links
Three equivalent ways of saying that are

• "Because of that I'd like to...."
  • "As a result I'd like to...."
  • "Therefore I'd like to...."

Please think about why you should start a sentence with "So...."

Free electrical advice with grammar lessons thrown in, what more could anyone want?

need to put one of the blues into the switch, along with a wire from there to the connector block.

You should not be giving instructions to people to stick this wire in that hole. You should be encouraging them to learn about electricity before they start fiddling.

Free electrical advice with grammar lessons thrown in, what more could anyone want?

GrammarPendant.jpg

You should not be giving instructions to people to stick this wire in that hole. You should be encouraging them to learn about electricity before they start fiddling.
He clearly knows exactly how it should be wired - I was pointing out a mechanical problem regarding that 4-port push-in connector.

But well done for behaving, yet again, in a childish and pathetic manner, and showing, yet again, just how useless you are at this. It's quite amusing, actually, to see someone so clearly unfit for purpose taking care to make himself look even worse, just in case his reputation does have any further to fall.

The please explain what "So" was linking to when used as the opening word by the OP.
The same thing as your "Because of", "As a result of" and "Therefore" were all linking to.

... and, if you accept that "because" is a conjunction, do I take it that you were taught that it was correct to start a sentence with a conjunction?

Kind Regards, John

The same thing as your "Because of", "As a result of" and "Therefore" were all linking to.
Which was?

... and, if you accept that "because" is a conjunction, do I take it that you were taught that it was correct to start a sentence with a conjunction?
What would it be joining?

Do you see any difference between a gratuitous "Because of that, I'd like to swap my existing 2 gang light switch in the lounge ..." (where 'that' is undefined and unknowable to the reader) and "Because I have mobility problems I'd like to..."?

Consider these:

The floods had take the bridge out. {So we had to go the long way round|Because of that we had to go the long way round|As a result we had to go the long way round|Therefore we had to go the long way round}.​

They all make sense - in each case the reader knows what the 'So', the 'Because' etc refer to.

But gratuitously starting a conversation with "So we had to go the long way round" is nonsense.

It's more a case of basic meaning than grammatical constructs.

And I really cannot see what discussion is needed - I suggest that every time you see an opening sentence of the type "So, I'd like to swap my existing 2 gang light switch..." you try a substitution, and imagine it begins "Because of that, I'd like to swap my existing 2 gang light switch in the lounge ..." or "As a result, I'd like to swap my existing 2 gang light switch in the lounge ...".

If it doesn't make sense like that, it doesn't make sense with "so".

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back