Switching Unused Sockets Off: Settle The Argument!

Sponsored Links
Your argument might be even stronger if you got your units right.

In terms of the figures, one issue is obviously that not all items are 'modern' - I certainly have a good few that consume very much more than 1 W on standby.

Kind Regards, John
ok i have a vhs that uses 7w on standby and indeed that is about 1.2 units a week or maybe 15p and i am assuming a much lower level off saving than his wife was assuming wasted by every socket left on as all that hastle to save less than a pound a week would never be worth it:D

ok i have a vhs that uses 7w on standby and indeed that is about 1.2 units a week or maybe 15p ...
I could certainly trump that and, until not that long ago, in a big way. It's only a year or three since I got rid of a TV (and, no, it wasn't a CRT one :) ) whose power consumption on standby was well over a half of what it was when running - I got the impression that the 'standby button' probably tuned off the screen and speakers, but not much more :)

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
any modern item on standby must be no more than 1w
a socket red light may consume perhaps. .01w max or .1w every 10 hours or .25w per day or 90w a year a massive 1-1.2p a year so every 9 sockets 10p a year :D
could be a bit less or a bit more but pence a year

A typical neon will take a milliampere or more which at 240v is .24 watts or more. That will cost 24p or more per year times the number with neons left on.

Oh God - turn them off immediately, or the electricity will leak out and run down the wall.
Reminds me of years ago, I had a school friend who lived on a farm. His sister went to free a cow tangled in an electric fence. She rushed down to the barn to turn off the fence then waited for the electricity to drain out of the fence.....

Reminds me of years ago, I had a school friend who lived on a farm. His sister went to free a cow tangled in an electric fence. She rushed down to the barn to turn off the fence then waited for the electricity to drain out of the fence.....
yes thats quite funny :D
but to be fair its the right way as there could be a capacitor or time delay relay or some other wives tale to take into account:rolleyes:

She rushed down to the barn to turn off the fence then waited for the electricity to drain out of the fence....
only to discover shortly afterwards that the electric fence was actually battery powered. She didn't make that mistake again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back