T&E not outside but in a shed / barn / workshop convers

the problem is volt drop

and the recs (if they set thier supply transformers high) have a much wider band to drop over than we do

Sponsored Links
We worked out the voltage drop, using a single phase load, and set the supply voltage as 240. (I know this should be done at 230)

This spreadsheet contains 'accurate' cable information as it used by the local REC's, even calculates their ELZ.

Only difference is its using a pvc cable where as I will use XLPE, as XLPE isnt aproved on their LV supplies as yet.

If you are buying cable get on with it. We were sub £185 on 10/3 a couple of weeks ago but are now at £205. I am sure that the cable companies just use fluctuating copper prices as an excuse but whatever the reason, cable is set to keep going up for the short term.

Sponsored Links
dw3101 said:
Ive just checked some figures using 16mm copper with my dads spreadsheet that he uses for network design and we dont have a problem with 16mm cable..
Well you wouldn't, would you - the volt drop limits I quoted were for 6mm² and 10mm², the two sizes dw3101 was considering, not 16mm²....

Also - be careful with using XLPE figures, VD is lower, and current ratings are higher. I'd have a concern (maybe unwarranted, but caution is a good policy) that the higher rating is partly because the insulation can withstand higher temperatures. If you're running it at the limit it might get too hot for what you're terminating it in...

I was originally considering them but I deemed them unsuitable I was using the mv/a/m from pirelli as well

Pvc is rated at 65 where as XLPE is 85 -90degrees iirc.

David

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back