TANKING OR DPC

Why would you hack off a wall that is ok? the bathroom and kitchen are ok, thats what she says. Damp is coming in somewhere, we agree on that. The toilet leaks, so there you go, maybe there is a down pipe or waste pipe that is leaking-this does not mean you have to knock the house down and rebuild it with lime and horsehair. maybe we could find out when the house was built, what the walls are made of, if there is a leak somewhere CAUSING the damp, before we all go lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime lime

Sponsored Links
Ignore those two arguing - they are always at it. ;)

Why would you hack off a wall that is ok? the bathroom and kitchen are ok, thats what she says. Damp is coming in somewhere, we agree on that. The toilet leaks, so there you go, maybe there is a down pipe or waste pipe that is leaking-this does not mean you have to knock the house down and rebuild it with lime and horsehair. maybe we could find out when the house was built, what the walls are made of, if there is a leak somewhere CAUSING the damp, before we all go lime

Oh dear, who said anything about horse hair..? Instead of brown nosing joe do some research.

This is a basement conversion pal, yes you can sika hell out of every wall and stop the damp but with soft brick you will cause the brick to fail, it's one of the most common causes of brick failure of this sort...

You are clueless, keep away from old buildings mate, you don't know what you are talking about like most modern day cowboys who trash old homes.

"Also I have had some of the companies say I have damp in the bathroom and kitchen whilst others say there is no damp there!!"

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/plastering-rendering/tanking-or-dpc.331810/#ixzz21qFzD4dB

Pay attention.

it would be really nice to see photos of the outside of the wall and to know if, for example, there are leaking gutters or downpipes, or gappy joinery in the wall.

We heard there were plumbing leaks inside the home so I would like to see those dried out by ventilation before deciding what sort of damp problem exists.

It's would be the first port of call but the party wall will be internal and next door has probably had their place tanked to hell and it's pushing the water her way. It's also common for these basement to be built near a water course and they are designed to take in water. It would probably need a slate DPC as it was a basement and once underground on all side it wouldn't have had one.

One thing to take into consideration is upstairs, if it's tanked through the damp will find it's way upstairs...

Sponsored Links
P.S I mainly stick to advice on lime built property, hence the lime lime lime :rolleyes:

Typical causes of this sort of problem are:

The use of cement based (modern) mortar in external wall repairs and pointing - this is especially bad for your walls. Cement mortars not only stop moisture moving freely through the wall and escaping into the air, they also encourage extra water into the wall through cracks that always form in cement. Cement mortars also force natural salts to crystallise in bricks adjacent to the mortar, causing the bricks to break up.
Cement (modern) rendering on the outside of the walls. Like cement mortars used for repairs and pointing, this sort of rendering cracks all over its surface - the size of the cracks depends on the quality of the render and skill of the builder but they're impossible to prevent. The cracks encourage extra water into the wall but the water cannot escape back out the same way because the render is impermeable. Even if cement render is not yet visibly cracked, it encourages condensation to form on the back as moisture from inside the house can no longer escape through the wall - this can even result in clay lump walls collapsing. Cement rendering a wall can be one of the quickest ways there is of ensuring a wall becomes very damp.
Modern plaster (usually pink in colour) on the walls - this too is relatively impermeable so prevents moisture passing through when applied straight onto solid walls. It may just form a thin layer over the original plaster, but in the worst cases, all the original plaster will have been removed and replaced with waterproof cement render covered with a thin layer of the pink plaster.
Modern paint or vinyl wallpaper used direct on solid walls (inside or outside in the case of paint). These too are mostly impermeable and again prevent moisture moving through the walls and escaping into the air.
An injected damp proof course - these are designed for use in dry walls and are incapable of working when installed in an existing damp wall. (They are either waxy creams that just form individual 'fingers' when injected, or they use chemicals dissolved in a water based solvent. The water based solvents must completely evaporate away after injection, to allow the chemicals to cure and form a water repellent coating - if a wall is damp, it never completely dries out and the injection process has just saturated it with even more water, therefore the chemicals never cure and form their coating.) As the injected damp prof courses never work, the walls are always replastered with a waterproof cement plaster to try and hide any damp for the duration of the guarantee. This just stops the natural moisture present from moving through the wall and escaping into the air, making any problems worse.

http://www.davidkinsey.co.uk/pages/damp.php

Hi Guys. Two of the walls that I am speaking about are internal walls. The kitchen and bathroom external walls are fine. They have been tanked. I do not know what they are like behind the tanking! The one external wall could have water coming through from the outside but there are three more walls and they are external.

I have no doubt that a lot of it has been condensation and I am going to have de - humifiders fitted to try to reduce the problem of condensation but it is what to do in the interim do I tank or do I DPC. I can see that tanking would cause a bit of a problem to the wall as it would be solid and therefore not breathing or letting moisture out however it IS letting moisture out and it is too much and making the flat uninhabital :cry:

I have nearly 29 years experience in this field and you?

:rolleyes:
seems like your aging faster than the rest of us peaps last year you was a plasterer of only 23 years //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2093143#2093143[/QUOTE]
And if you count the 5 year training with an extra year for fibrous? :rolleyes:

Try harder son :LOL:

I'm a plasterer, 23 years and 98% of my work I utilise traditional methods working on listed buildings. I spent 5 years training as an apprentice and an extra year fibrous casting. I do some knock out venetian plastering as well.

Try harder son :LOL:

I'm a plasterer, 23 years
you may have started plastering that long ago but it dont mean youve been plastering for that long, why for the last year or so you have been sat in front of your pc so you cant count that year, how many more years cant you count?

Wow you are desperate :LOL:

I'm on site for 5am, home for 9/10 to feed the animals and spend a couple of hours in my workshop. I'm not going to be working for the next 3 months. I've done all the hard work mate and I'm now enjoying the fruit and the family :rolleyes:

Want a video diary? :rolleyes:

Well I must admit your good at one thing....Good at ruining a DIY site . I used to like comng on here having the banter and answering peoples questions, but now all we get is this crap about nobody has got any experience of lime plastering and therefore we dont know our trade,and all the info we give out is the wrong info. It's no wonder that most of the lads on here dont come on now. Maybe this 3 month holiday on a horse farm in Sandhurst will do you good and give us a break, from You....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back