Telford Tempest unvented cylinder resonance/vibration noise

Sponsored Links
That immersion looks to be wired to a three pin plug which is a no no if drawing 3kws. Immersions should have a 20 amp DP switch to them normally but are only there for back up if the boiler fails.
It's fine that's a 15A plug and socket.

So, if I have read correctly (lots of bumps on thread from the OP, so tricky to follow it), this noise persists with ALL electrical supplies OFF? Is that right??
Are you joined to a neighbour? Is this a new(ish) property? Could the noise be from a neighbour?

To it's a bungalow in the country. I have a neighbour but sort of across the road, but not directly.

Sponsored Links
That immersion looks to be wired to a three pin plug which is a no no if drawing 3kws. Immersions should have a 20 amp DP switch to them normally but are only there for back up if the boiler fails.
You said it was wired to solar somehow but still think it shouldn't be on a plug. I'm no sparky though.

I'm no sparky either but surely 3000w / 230v = 13A?

See this is weird....I was switching everything off in the past, apart from the thermostat in the hall....now I've done this twice in the last two weeks, switched it off all day. So, heating not on, and no noise....

I have contacted Telford yest and with the suggestion of it might be circulation pump, this might be a possibility, I have had to send them pictures tonight so he can check, if so, he said then the settings might need changed....so will see what he comes back with tomorrow.

Thanks for everyone's input to farm I would never have asked that question without this suggestion on here....so let's hope this could be it....fingers crossed

Heat resistant PVC will do, such as this from TLC it is rated to 85°C. I usually use 1.5mm² for backup elements, 2.5mm² for elements in direct cylinders. Butyl is more expensive, but useful if more flexibility is needed or the cable will be in contact with oil etc.

Edit:
From an immersion installation manual:
3.0kW @ 240V~/2.8kW @ 230V~

This immersion heater must be wired with heat resistant flexible cord with a minimum cross-sectional area of 1.5 mm²

Last edited:
I have been in contact with Telford and they have checked my cylinder doesn't have a pump. However, he looked at my pictures and advised me to turn off immersion switch beside cylinder.

My plumber didn't say to do this as the solar immersion panel beside boiler controls immersion and if I wanted immersion working through electrics then I hustled pushed a button on panel.

Does anyone know if this plug therefore beside my cylinder has kept my immersion on all the time?

I've not long installed two 500 litre megaflo unvented cylinders whereby both coils scream like hell.....
42mm primary flow/return to coils reduced to 35mm to each unit , 25/80 circulator installed solely for the cylinder primaries....circulator speed makes little difference with regard to the screaming on both coils ..
Reducing flow rate through the coils via the lock shield on return has eliminated all resonance although recovery time has suffered.........these cylinders used to take around 35 minutes to heat (10c to 65c) , recovery time now is around 50 minutes (200 kW boilers/LLH).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back