Terminating SWA in Meter Box?

Sponsored Links
I guess I've just been lucky in the past then!
I think you must have - that's not 'putting a bit of customer's equipment in the meter box' - in an almost complete takeover of the box :)

Kind Regards, John

Yes, I do now see his point and accept that I'm going to have to change it... Although I wish I had pictures of successful installations.

So anyway, are there any smaller Metal clad fused swiches, or is a KMF + adaptable box my best bet?

So anyway, are there any smaller Metal clad fused swiches, or is a KMF + adaptable box my best bet?
I doubt that you're going to find anything remotely as small as the KMF - I think they're great!

I dare say this is going to get me some flack, but what the hell .... given that ordinary meter tails up to 2 or 3 metres are accepted without any protection, one might consider going in ordinary tails from the KMF into the house (maybe ony a metre or so, maybe even less) into an adaptable box (or whatever) and do the rest of the run from there in SWA?

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I doubt that you're going to find anything remotely as small as the KMF - I think they're great!

I dare say this is going to get me some flack, but what the hell .... given that ordinary meter tails up to 2 or 3 metres are accepted without any protection, one might consider going in ordinary tails from the KMF into the house (maybe ony a metre or so, maybe even less) into an adaptable box (or whatever) and do the rest of the run from there in SWA?

Kind Regards, John

Hmm, That was a consideration, but then I'd still need to join them, which would need to be accessible, so what ever happens it isn't going to be "pretty" inside.

I dare say this is going to get me some flack, but what the hell ....
Not from this side of the room.

given that ordinary meter tails up to 2 or 3 metres are accepted without any protection
He's providing a KMF, so the cable will be protected.

one might consider going in ordinary tails from the KMF into the house (maybe ony a metre or so, maybe even less) into an adaptable box (or whatever) and do the rest of the run from there in SWA?
I can see the benefits of doing that, but finding a terminal block rated at 100A (80A if using a genuine MEM 800KMF) might be tricky, unless a Henley was used.

The KMF + adaptable box may be a little bulkier than ideal, but if the OP is willing to compromise slightly and use an 80A consumer's fuse (I have a 60A, for discrimination purposes) then 16mm² SWA can be used clipped direct and maybe a rectangular box above the KMF of say 100x50x50 similar to Bernard's suggestion.

Hmm, That was a consideration, but then I'd still need to join them, which would need to be accessible, so what ever happens it isn't going to be "pretty" inside.
Not beautiful, perhaps, but it would only have to be a box/enclosure. I was just thinking of ways of saving even morte space in the meter box - although, with the KMF, you'll have no lack of that, anyway.

Kind Regards, John

one might consider going in ordinary tails from the KMF into the house (maybe ony a metre or so, maybe even less) into an adaptable box (or whatever) and do the rest of the run from there in SWA?
I can see the benefits of doing that, but finding a terminal block rated at 100A (80A if using a genuine MEM 800KMF) might be tricky, unless a Henley was used.
There certainly are possibilities, and a traditional Henley (not some of the massive 'equivalents'!) would perhaps be the most obvious (and quite small).

Kind Regards, John

And in that state if that cutout were ever to go faulty we would not be able to work on it live owing to the presence of all that earthed metal!

The hint there is that we would really not want any metalwork introducing to a viewing cabinet be it in the form of switchgear or terminating boxes.
I know that it is not written anywhere but it does introduce hazards when working on cutouts that are unacceptable to some.

And in that state if that cutout were ever to go faulty we would not be able to work on it live owing to the presence of all that earthed metal!
The hint there is that we would really not want any metalwork introducing to a viewing cabinet be it in the form of switchgear or terminating boxes. I know that it is not written anywhere but it does introduce hazards when working on cutouts that are unacceptable to some.
That makes total sense. However, although everyone seems to have been talking about metal adaptable boxes (or metal diecast boxes in the case of Bernard), I see no reason why the box used for terminating the SWA could not be plastic (and small) which, together with a (plastic & small) KMF800 would, I presume represent no hazard to people working live in the box.

Kind Regards, John

I see no reason why the box used for terminating the SWA could not be plastic (and small).
There would also be no reason why technically, you could not provide the earth for the SWA from the other end of the cable and use a plastic stuffing gland at the meter box end.

I see no reason why the box used for terminating the SWA could not be plastic (and small).
There would also be no reason why technically, you could not provide the earth for the SWA from the other end of the cable and use a plastic stuffing gland at the meter box end.
Yes, also true. I confess I'd overlooked the possibility that an SWA gland in the cabinet could come to represent potentially hazardous (to anyone working live) 'earthed metal' if the shroud were to slip. I suppose that another option (taking up a bit more space) would be to have an SWA gland totally within an insulating enclosure (or, indeed, {some will probably scream!} to terminate the armour of the SWA within such an enclosure without using an SWA gland)

Kind Regards, John

Though not the DNO's responsibility, can they not provide suitable fuse and switch? Their equipment can vary from place to place, so do they have something suitable than can be wired in, if the op leaves an enclosure with an Isco block in it?

How does the DNO do it when they move meter positions to outside?

I remember over 15 years ago, a relatives bungalow, had to have it's overhead supply changed to underground. It was the DNO who insisted the work had to be done.

The meter position was moved to the other end of the house. New tails were ran in the loft and down the wall to the meter, well in excess of 5 metres, more like 10.

No switch fuse was fitted that I could see, though it may have been incorporated in their equipment, didn't look that hard as it wasn't really any of my concern.

Any particular reason you chose SWA rather than tails? Is the cable boxed in?

Of course, the best way round this is probably to fit another kiosk next to the one you have.

How does the DNO do it when they move meter positions to outside?

It depends on each circumstance and often the knowledge of who is planning it! All that is written is the 3m maximum tail length and that customer equipment is not allowed in the box!

Certainly any I have been involved with or seen have had a switchfuse fitted internally and a sub-main to the original position

Though not the DNO's responsibility, can they not provide suitable fuse and switch? Their equipment can vary from place to place, so do they have something suitable than can be wired in, if the op leaves an enclosure with an Isco block in it?
Given that the DNOs are not involved even with the meter, I would have doubted that they would be prepared to get involved with anything downstream of the meter - at least 'officially'. What DNO personnel may, themselves, be prepared to do ('for a cup of tea') is perhaps a different matter.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back