Testing query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
On a new supply from consumer unit to a garage unit that supplies power and lighting circuits should I be recording it as 1) sub main to garage consumer unit 2) power 3) lighting and record r1 & r2, IR & EFLI accordingly.

On the basis that I only record what I’ve done for this outside supply I presume that on the schedule of inspections I’ve no need to record anything other than N/A against presence of supplementary bonding as that’s nothing to do with this new part of the installation whereas I would need to check the main equipotential bonding.

It's for my assessment so just want to make sure its OK - some mates at college wouldnt split the circuits - we wondered what the experts would do as we've seen both.

Sponsored Links
You should be issuing an EIC with an additional schedule of tests. On the first schedule of tests note the sub main, and on the second do the circuits on the garage CU.

As for you schedule of inspections I would as note it as a limitation and also note it in the appropiate box. I assume that you do have a bathroom in this property, but that the supp bonding is irrelevant for the circuits that you have worked on ;)

Thanks Noz - surely as a new supply off a spare way in the CU the EIC you have to provide only covers the new work being done - the submain and garage cicruits.

On the Schedule of Test Results couldn't you put circuit 1 - sub main, circuit 2 power, circuit 3 lights all on the one schedule. Two separate schedules of results seems paperwork for the sake of it.

Again I thought the EIC only covered the new work - if that new work doesn't affect the rest of the installation and common factors like earthing and main bonding are OK. There is a bathroom and as it happens its supp bonding is OK.

No,
It's 1 schedule of test results for each DB..

Only record reading for the circuits that you have worked on though

Sponsored Links
Noz - at the risk that i'm having a bad day (again) - so I can use one schedule as I'm only recording what I've done on the one new circuit from a spare way on the CU that goes down the garage and then supplies 2 circuits.

Surely you don't want one schedule for the bit from the CU to the garage DB and another for the 2 circuits in the garage.

RF - thanks but the continuation sheets are no probs - I'm just keen to get the paperwork right but for such a simple job two sets of schedules seems OTT. Still hunting for any definitive answer in the NICEIC I,T & certification book.

The way I do it

First schedual:

List all the circuits in the house CU, but only complete the test results for the modified circuit(s)

Continuation sheet:

List all the circuits in the new garage CU, and complete all test results.

It is not pointless paperwork.

It keeps each dist board completely seperate, and also if you are testing a submain you need additional details such as location and designation of the dist board and also a Ipsc reading.

I have in the past filled out certificates >30 pages long. 7 pages is nothing.

In the time you have spent asking on here, you could have done the certificate out properly.

Thanks RF - always keen to learn and get things as they should be.

I'm asking on here to try to get things right - clearly I would have done it wrong so the time spent asking is not wasted. There is a great disparity in what mates at college have been told what to do. Anyone else any views?

Sorry, my post came across a bit savage, I thought you were looking for ways to cut corners, not trying to find out how to do the forms out properly :D

I'm all in favour of people who come here to learn. I have learned loads from this site myself ;)

Sorry, only just come back..

Yes 1 schedule of tests for each DB as RF says - for the reasons he states, if it's a more complex installation you may even have several schedules of inspections (although rare in most domestic environments).

Just remember we are not here to wind you up or lead you down the garden path, If you ask a reasonable question you will get good gen.

Like RF, I have also learn't alot from this and other forum sites

RF Lighting said:
I have in the past filled out certificates >30 pages long. 7 pages is nothing.

In the commercial work I do, the last report was 375 pages long. Each one is then checked for inaccuracies and sent back to me. Irrellevant I know but thought i would mention it.

Thanks for this folks - a very useful forum full of rather more sensible answers than some other forums that I know we all contribute to as well.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back