Country
United Kingdom
Finally!

Attachments

• 20170929_145208.jpg
    20170929_145208.jpg
    137.2 KB · Views: 587
Sponsored Links
One problem - no Android app. Who still buys Apple phones??

Wonder if this system is going to be reliable as their current push message system at the moment cannot be relied on.

hi,

I have had a trial unit for some months now and its good, however it is only on iOS 8.2 and above, so iPhone 4s and above I believe.

as for reliability think we can say its too early to be certain wrt to notifications and its only the Ethernet version available a the moment but its cheaper than a com ip unit.

You can use the new iOS ap and the old app in tandem, however the usual issues are to be expected with the old app.

as the smart com uses two com ports, one for connection via the smart com and one for outgoing as messages it does mean that connecting to the panel will be easier using the app or wintex.

The old app, you need to program old arc details and portforward on com port 2 set as com ip.

You need need the panel to be version4 and flashed up, wrt the ricochet plug, it works well using the recipes, I set the plug to go active on entering a room, the delay between pir activation and plug turning on was minimal, almost instantaneous.

The advantage of the ricochet plug is two fold, runs off mains so no batteries to replace and can be used to extend the network and even if you don't use the plug with the app its pass through so could be left turned on and utilised, or if your lazy you can turn the plug on with the app.

Older versions of ricochet expander, the version of the expander will mean that the soft mesh wont be available for when the ricochet plug is added so if moved it needs to be recomissioned, however on the newer expanders it will do a soft commission process so no need to worry about the mesh being set up.

believe most places have them in stock as of sometime next week and ADI tell me they have some in stock now.

Sponsored Links
Lack of Android support is pretty poor though, especially given it is the most popular mobile OS in Europe. I notice they've removed most references to Android on the website.

Looks like a glorified ComIP for now then

@secureiam thanks for the early review, if it turns out to be reliable I’ll defiantly look at upgrading. Then again the push messages from Texecom used to be reliable at the beginning (with just a few hundred accounts) although the duplex connection sounds good.

Have they announced a subscription model for the service? don’t mind paying especially if they invest that money into the servers.

Also do you know if the system will be compatible with the Philips Hue light bulbs as I’ve converted most of the house to that system so wouldn’t need the plug in adaptors.

Last edited:
at the moment is free, to be fair Texecom have been given a hard time over the app and various issues.

at the moment the smart connect is a replacement communicator only, the hub which will be a smart com with zwave etc will be coming later.
whilst the is an api available, you could ask phillips or Texecom to look at it?

also the notifications were more reliable on the iOS platform over android on the old app.

from the site visit Texecom did 99+% of all signals defiantly got through and received by the ipad the android and the email didn't do so well.
so is it volume or volume on android using there current delivery notification delivery model.

Its cheaper than the comip unit but dearer then the com wifi, the units don't have wifi active yet as they say there's been some issues with it and its been turned off and an over the air update will turn it on, to be honest that makes no sense to me unless your hogging stock as once its in hardwired your highly unlikely to go back to wireless ????

In essence glorified ip module, it does have two com flyleads and it shows up twice in the router, ones set for the smart com side of thing and the comip side for the signalling, I'll be honest I believe that's because the panel cant handle more than 1 session on the comport.

so what am I telling my customers well its hardwired or nothing, if you want zwave then it will require a hub rather than a smart com.
IPhone for connect capability and add android via the old app for now.

For those buying new, then its cheaper for the smart com than the comip, so either way its a win if you were going to use comip.
the android old app would still need port forwarding as it has no intergration to the smart com as such.

PCB image attached. Interestingly has an SN8000 802.11 b/g/n WiFi module fitted despite being the Ethernet only module. SD cards reader and USB not populated although the manual points to future use for these suggesting they should be there.

Attachments

• 20170929_172840.jpg
    20170929_172840.jpg
    305.6 KB · Views: 448
the wifi isn't turned on yet so they say, the trial unit did give access to the wifi connection

I suspect the usb will be populated when the bring out the hub versions as some additional hardware is required.

when the hub launches I am expecting it to be more expensive, and it will incorporate the smart com and additional bits and Adrian has said as much, but the hub is phase 2.

never opened the unit up to pcb level.

Quite a powerful CPU. I think they need to redesign the panel and its OS. Could probably place everything on that CPU and have Ethernet included on the main PCB without the need for serial COM port connections. It still amuses me that Texecom cannot have two processes conversing over one COM port to the Ethernet CPU. Alarm panel tech is three decades behind, with new features bolted on in an attempt to survive :(

completely agree, there was talk many years ago of a new panel, its well over due to bring into the modern age.

although having addons can have its advantages?

I have installed one at home & it works a treat! Looking to install one at my sisters house now but getting Cat5 to the router will be too much mess & agro.

Could I use one of these wireless ‘plug in’ network extenders as a temporary measure until the wifi gets enabled on the SmartCom?

as long as its connected to the network shouldn't be an issue.

as the units have a dormant wifi at present, its been turned off because the wifi isn't ready (working properly), you may be able to turn it on.

if going hard wired you just need to make sure the extender has the Ethernet slot available.

some have Ethernet 1,2 or 3 ports and some only wifi and some both, but sure you know that already. as it doesn't use much data doesn't have to be an expensive high bandwidth one for the smart com.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back