Texecom - connecting a sounder and speaker

I have the plastic bell boxes.
Also, in case I have missed it: I've seen advice on where to wire in the speaker (twin alert) but where does my sounder go?

Sponsored Links
look at power consumption of the devices in alarm mode, and calculate if the current draw is greater than the fuse protecting it.

You will see several threads on here where power haven't been taken into account.

so I think the bell fuse on the 24 is 0.9A(900mA haven't checked), so all things wired to the bell power terminals can not exceed 0.9A in alarm or it can cause some interesting side effects.

on the 24 panel you should have the DC terminals, these are not fuse protected so if using these you can put an inline 1A fuse if needed on the 12V line.

so if working 900mA on the bell power terminals we can have:-

ody 5e:-

quiet. 18mA
strobe 100mA
sounder 285mA

Total 403mA for 1 siren and for 2 its 806mA allow some fluctuation say 10% you are still inside your power limit but are unlikely to be able to and anything else to the bells power terminals.

how much do the other internal sounder units take in alarm? where you taking the power from?

Sponsored Links
the twin alert is 160mA and I then have a sounder too. I don't have the mA for this to hand.

can I take power for the speaker and sounder from the expander?

I've got the 8XE plug-on expander and it contains the 12v and 0v terminals. A number of my PIR's that are connected to these zones are sourcing power from here. I think the answer to your question is yes?

No it's not, so the power supply limits still apply.

ummm...any suggestions on where I can connect in the sounder and speaker in that case as wiring them into the siren terminals is likely to exceed the power limit. I have two 5e boxes to wire in here.

You could connect one of the bell boxes up in SCB mode to get the power consumption down.

Is anyone familiar with the "low current mode" on the 5E bell box? I wonder if that's my solution...
I could put one of my bell boxes into this mode potentially

on the metal panels you have 1A, with Full versions ie odyssey5 rather than 5E I run second in LC current mode as this at its limit pretty much.

in you case order a 1A inline fuse, wire it to the DC+ terminal and take your power from there.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/5-x-In-Li...lder-Splash-Proof-Screw-Type-20mm/26213988923

I use these occasionally, before adding an extra power supply if it possible, a lot cheaper.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Based on the 9mA fuse (I've checked this in the manual) on the siren power, am I safe to do the following:

403mA for 5E in full mode
160mA for Twin Alert
120mA fro CQR Alto Sounder

This leaves me 217mA (to be precise) to either put the second siren box in Low Current or SCB mode. Is this logical and/or am I cutting it fine?

If this works, I can use the siren power for everything as I understand it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back