Thames Water - £13bn debt - going under

I didn't chose them no. My pension people have changed three times since I started paying in my mid 20's. Take-overs and whatnot. It was all handled by a financial advisor.
Never thought to ask about utilities companies, no. :confused:
At any point if it bothered your principals that much you could have found out and advised your financial advisor to inform you of other providers . I Can see how you haven't had time to check it out as utility privatisation only happened about 35 years ago

Sponsored Links
In 2021, it was revealed that untreated sewage was discharged by Scottish Water into Scotland's rivers and lochs more than 12,000 times in a single year,

And how many in England?

Here's just one company I know of

"Southern Water has been fined a record £90m for deliberately dumping billions of litres of raw sewage into the sea.
The company admitted 6,971 illegal spills from 17 sites in Hampshire, Kent and West Sussex between 2010 and 2015.
His Honour Mr Justice Jeremy Johnson said the offences had been "committed deliberately" by Southern Water's board of directors at the time."

"The "sheer scale" of offending meant it was "inherently unlikely this was due to a small number of rogue employees".
"It is far more likely to be due to deliberate disregard for the law from the top down," the judge said.
The offences had been aggravated by Southern Water's "persistent pollution of the environment" which had led to 168 previous convictions and cautions, he said.
He said the scale of the fine was intended to "bring home to the management of this and other companies the need to comply with laws that are designed to protect the environment".

Last edited:
At any point if it bothered your principals that much you could have found out and advised your financial advisor to inform you of other providers . I Can see how you haven't had time to check it out as utility privatisation only happened about 35 years ago

I wonder if Gassy "bothered" to check.

No, I'm sure he didn't.

I bet he didn't ask what percentage of his gold bars came from polluting mines, or the teeth of concentration camp victims, either.

I take it You choose them as your pension provider without caring what they invest your money in. Don't worry johnd will be back on soon to tell you about an ethical provider to help with your anti privatisation beliefs
Mustn’t ask Johnny boy about his investments - touchy subject with him. Just accept his word that they gain approximately 40% in a year which is bloody marvellous for an ethical investor like wot he is. ;)

Sponsored Links
It's irrelevant in relation to Scotland, if you read the link fully regarding the reporting of incidents, you might understand why. Then again.........

And Scotland is irrelevant in relation to England's awful record.

Yet you wanted to add it to this thread.

I wonder if Gassy "bothered" to check.

No, I'm sure he didn't.

I bet he didn't ask what percentage of his gold bars came from polluting mines, or the teeth of concentration camp victims, either.
I am not the one who is on here spouting about the evils of privatisation of utility companies or has that gone over your head.

No need. I gave you the graph.
You gave me a retrospective investment graph, yes. I can give you a retrospective graph too. Would you like my retrospective bitcoin graph when they were climbing like a rocket? Here you go. I got into them in July '17 and got out just 5 months later. Didn’t I do well!

1688068644294.jpeg

Last edited:
I could have found out 35 years ago? Were the utilities in private hands then? Not sure where you are going with this, but I do remember asking for low risk investment (what ever that is).

What ever your waffle, it doesn't change the fact that the latest crop or Brexer Tories are greedy grasping scum. And they are enablers of greedy grasping scum.

I am not the one who is on here spouting about the evils of privatisation of utility companies or has that gone over your head.
You are the one saying people should tell you about their investments.

So you don't really care?

Gas has hit a nerve with Johnny boy and any minute now he will hide behind his NOYFB safety blanket. :ROFLMAO:

The business model of Britain's privatised utilities encourages owners to run up huge debts and loot the company, at the expense of customers and the environment.

Possibly this was an unintended consequence of selling a natural monopoly.

They're getting rattled.

"Yorkshire Water raises £500mn from shareholders to shore up finances"​

"Ofwat warned that Yorkshire’s gearing exceeded 100 per cent when including net financial derivatives and pension obligations. Yorkshire Water’s gearing as of 30 September, 2022 was at 73.5 per cent, the company said on Thursday."

FT.com

Sponsored Links
Back