Thanks, Johnson

Sponsored Links
You think the nurses should be grateful?
Grateful ? Not sure about that, but a lot of people would love a job, especially a job with some of the benefits. It's a job a lot wouldn't want though, because of the hours and low morale and numerous other drawbacks. But hey, it's not all doom and gloom, Shnoz trousered an extra £14k, and just loves to rub peoples noses in the fact, three cheers for Shnoz!

Sponsored Links
1% pay rise which is a proposal amounts to approx half a billion pounds if implemented across the NHS

afaik a nurse is on 34 grand a year ???

Average salary is just over 33k, starting salary for a newly qualified nurse is about 25k. Each grade has a salary 'range', when my wife worked in the public sector (not NHS), apart from being awarded an annual increase, she could move one or two points up her grade so effectively she might get an annual increase of 1%, but then get an additional £500 by moving a a point or two within that grade, this wasn't counted as an increase. When she reached the top of her grade but they couldn't move her into the next grade, she discovered there were other 'merit' pay awards that could be given, and which she received.
I don't think they do too badly financially, I'm not keen on the term 'heroes', there are good ones and bad ones.

A myth that makes me smile is that there has ever been a shortage of nurses. Whenever a hospital is short of nurses, they simply take on 'agency' nurses who earn almost double the above rates, there never seems to be a shortage of 'agency' nurses and a curious situation is that many nurses can work full time for the NHS whilst doing 'agency' work at weekends, that's a nice earner, both for nurses and agencies.

There is talk of strike action and the Unions seem to be revving up in that direction.
Against the backdrop of pay decreases in much of the private sector, and that's for those lucky enough to still have a job, I'm not convinced the threat of strike action is appropriate, and I doubt they will receive the public support they've enjoyed in the past.

A myth that makes me smile is that there has ever been a shortage of nurses
I know specifically 2 hospital trusts that are short of nurses and can't get enough cover with agency staff.

h, because of the hours and low morale

Due to a decade or so of Tory policy.

It's a well known right wing strategy...starve a public service of funding, claim it's not working so privatise it with some luverlly lolly for Tories and their mates.

Now jump down my throat however the news is saying the nurses have had a 12% increase over last three years, if correct then give them all a £1000 tax free Thank You. I know of agency staff nurses that can rake it in if they have years of experiance and cover late night shifts to the tune of around double what NHS nurses get.

Sponsored Links
Back