The connection between the outside BT line and the inside

tynan said:
I couldn't see how the phone wires plus insulation were supposed to fit into the tiny gaps between the metal teeth

The teeth are just that, teeth, they bite through the insulation as the wire is pushed into the gap. The gap is slightly narrower than the thickness of the copper wire and has sharp edges which after cutting through the insulation also cut slightly into the copper wire making a very good joint.

Provided the joint remains dry these are more than adequate for telephone joints.

Sponsored Links
the gel joints couldn't be easier.

You put you two wires into the joint (one in each hole), with the insulation still on.

Then you press the 'little button' in with something like a pair of waterpump pliers.

Job done.

The metal bit in the joint is forced onto the wire cutting into the insulation and making contact with the actual conductor. The gel also squeezes out at the same time sealing the joint.

What's wrong with using an IDC junction box?

Or am I missing something?

Sponsored Links
securespark said:
What's wrong with using an IDC junction box?

Or am I missing something?

If the incomer is a drop wire it would not connect reliably with internal wireing unless the proper type of IDC junction box was used. The conductor in drop wire is often an alloy far harder than copper and the internal type of IDC does not cut deep enough into this wire to ensure a good joint.

IDC = Insulation Displacement Connection

ah, so the round lid type bit that closes the thingy pushes the wires into the jaws of the connector thing?

that makes sense

good, It looks like I'm PMing the nice lectrician type then

I found a website selling ten for £4.50 delivered, is that reasonable?

FFS, even if you were being ripped off, at £4.50 does it really matter?

We've got a box full of them in our yard.

I'd be suprised if some don't appear on Ebay tomorrow cheaper than that ;)

(providing Lectrician doesn't beat me to it!) :D

Softus said:
FFS, even if you were being ripped off, at £4.50 does it really matter?

calm down fella, there's the principle of the thing to consider as well

ta RF, a dozen is going to be plenty even for a useless oik like me

hopefully

there's a bag of 300 on ebay for 99p +p&p

that sounds like a good margin of error, how many phones would someone have to install to use that up? or are they used for other sorts of connections?

I've looked up 'waterpump pliers'

I've only got one of those, although I've called it a pipe wrench ntil now

Quite the learning experience this thread has been

tynan said:
calm down fella, there's the principle of the thing to consider as well
Oh yes right. The principle. That's gotta make it worth wasting your life in chasing down £4.50. :rolleyes:

tynan said:
I couldn't see how the phone wires plus insulation were supposed to fit into the tiny gaps between the metal teeth
they aren't.

they are a one time use connection method

you insert the wires first (without stripping them) then you squeese them hard (there are proper tools but pliers should do if you are carefull. The metal teeth bite through the insulation and connect to the wire inside, meanwhile the "jelly" is squeezed arround inside the connector covering everything inside and waterproofing it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back