The customer is always wrong...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I realise this may make me look a bit of a pillock, but there is a lesson that might help someone else so what the hell :confused:

I was called to a house with an elderly couple (90 and 91) who said they had no lights in the hall, porch and one upstairs room. The story was that they had run the Christmas decorations from a light socket plug (yes I know) and when they put the CFL back in the points in question had stopped working. They were quite clear that all they had done was unplug the socket and plug the CFL back in so I started investigating the circuit.

Eventually tracked down a 5A FCU in the attic which had blown, so replaced it and it blew again.

Then I checked the downstairs light switch and found this:

lightswitch.jpg

10 sparky brownie points to the first person to spot the deliberate mistake....

I fixed this nasty (outside light circuit) but problem was still there, so I finally unscrewed the batten holder - to discover this:

rose.jpg

....waits for groans :rolleyes: :oops:

so the lesson is - never believe the client, even when they are 90 and respectable!

There's an hour or two wasted that I won't get back, but I guess its all a learning process :)

Gavin

Sponsored Links
Was the earth being used as a switch live or was it connected as a CPC?
Why did they use flex - looking at ceiling rose too?

Was the earth being used as a switch live or was it connected as a CPC?

Switched Live, so you win the points :) In fact because they used flex the cpc was at least the same size as the live conductors, not that there is any excuse for doing it that way! Needless to say it wasn't when I left.

Why did they use flex - looking at ceiling rose too?

No idea, though it was only as far as a junction box in the attic immediately above, so I guess they used what was available.

Gavin

Don't the regs not permit the use of flex cable for fixed wiring anyway, so the ceiling rose and switch shouldn't be using that cable regardless? Or have I got it wrong?

Sponsored Links
The regs do permit the use of flexible cables as fixed wiring, but not the use of a cpc as a phase conductor.

Don't the regs not permit the use of flex cable for fixed wiring anyway, so the ceiling rose and switch shouldn't be using that cable regardless? Or have I got it wrong?

I can't quote the specific reg at the moment, but my understanding is that flex is not prohibited for fixed wiring, as long as it meets all the requirements. After all, the connection from the junction box in a ceiling rose to a light is flex, and this was just an extension of that.

I would not normally wire a standard circuit in it from scratch, although it would sometimes be easier, and outside lights are often run in flex as fixed wiring.

Gavin

I do not do it, I use four core
but is it ok if you sleeve it brown I thought that was ok , as i see it a lot in photocells.

I thought the regs said " only the colour G/y may be used as earth,
as opposed to not using it as something else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back