Lighting Ring Extended to Sockets

Update

Managed to get into the loft to see where this socket terminated. Found the ceiling rose from the bedroom had been moved into a chock block with a 2.5mm T&E lashed into it. This then goes, in series as one cable to the socket in the bedroom, then back into the loft into another socket, then upto a light in the loft and a DP switch - Quite a daisy chain.. :eek:

I've disconnected the chock block and reinstated the ceiling rose for a std pendant. No loft light now, but at least it is safe(r).

Struggling on how to design the loft light wiring now, what is best practice?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
nothing wrong with putting the loft light onto the upstairs lighting just don't put any sockets on it..

ok. So I want to rectify the double socket that I have now disconnected from the lighting circuit..., due to its position getting it to spur or extend the ring final is not viable at first floor level due to the disruption with lifting carpets and chipboard. So I have these suggestions.

1. Landing has a single socket which backs onto a bedroom cupboard. This socket is on the final ring. Can I wire a 2.5 mm T&E to this and run it vertically up into the loft, in conduit, and then drop it down to the double socket? The cable run would be approx 5 meters on this spur.

2. After doing 1. above, can I run a second cable from this new socket back into the loft to feed the loft light? again in 2.5mm? This would make it simpler for me as some of this wiring is already in place for the loft light.

My understanding is that the MCB is to protect the cable from being overloaded, which I think this design does, but I recall reading somewhere that you can't have a radial off a ring for more than one accessory.

If I can do 1., but not 2., it's not the end of the world. I'd just have to do what Col Jack suggested and use the ceiling circuit to power the loft light.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
why would you want to run back to loft for light? why not just extend from last light on lighting circuit?

I could do that seperatley, it's just there is already wiring in place to a double socket in the bedroom, that feeds back into the loft for the light, all in 2.5mm T&E, but not connected to any supply at the moment. (see Update on lashing up..)

point 1. in my previous post is what I really wanted to get an answer on.

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back