The downside of diy

Sponsored Links
Sadly. it's impossible to control people not to touch gas :(

It just says someone may have doing some diy.

Perhaps they hammered a nail through the pipe and caused a leak.

Sponsored Links
We had one - a blast at 3 AM had the DIYer and his wife out on the lawn saying that she cannot breathe, the whole house gone, the neighbor's houses damaged.

These people
overestimate their ability or luck or skill?
underestimate the (in this case, well-known) danger?
fail to appreciate that their narcissism or penny pinching is endangering bystanders?

They haven't said what kind of DIY, it could have been a spark igniting a leak in a professionally installed gas system.

The Czech link above says it was a leak in an underground pipeline, nothing to do with DIY.

They haven't said what kind of DIY, it could have been a spark igniting a leak in a professionally installed gas system.

The Czech link above says it was a leak in an underground pipeline, nothing to do with DIY.

The odd house or flat explodes frequently here but its not news like this one. My thinking is that these are meant to be qualified maintenance staff on the municipal gaslines, if the standards are so low on high risk lines in populated areas then imagine how lax they are on the average house.

We dont have a Corgi type system here, if someone went to college as an electrician or gas fitter 20 or 30 years ago they still are today without any refresher courses unless they have decided to go themselves out of their own pocket.

Decent, honest, safe tradesmen are hit and miss here we've had a few dodgy ones and haved ended up fitting my own wood fire twice, I wont go near gas or electric although a family friend just fitted their own gas system, the thing is the so called experts are no better then the average joe.

The reports coming in from guys i know on site are that the guy was using expanding foam in the cellar to seal up gaps and the fumes ignited.
Gas has been checked and is not meant to be a factor in anyway.

The reports coming in from guys i know on site are that the guy was using expanding foam in the cellar to seal up gaps and the fumes ignited.
Gas has been checked and is not meant to be a factor in anyway.

Expanding foam? Must have been one hell of a big can!, is that serious or a joke?

Bodgeitandleggit";p="2774875 said:
This has been on the news and two people have been killed..suspected cause was a family member of mine doing some diy and there has been a explosion. I myself wont touch gas because I am not qualified and too thick to get trained and neither should anybody without the right certs, it is sad when you see incidents like this and there for the grace of God Sooey Go I.

RJM.

No joke police where investigating this line of inquiry as he is meant to have bought around 15 cans of it. and he was in cellar at the time so very easily and quickly a build up of fumes would occur .
Then without thinking he may have light a fag/used a power tool or even just turned the light off as he finished

But he couldn't breath in an atmosphere so loaded with fumes.

I guess if the fumes were heavier than air they could have pooled around floor level, possibly knocked him unconscious eventually with a fridge or something starting up and sparking to cause the explosion but that must have been one hell of a lot of fumes. Perhaps it could have caused a secondary explosion on the gas supply but if that's been ruled out already (ish) who knows.

Sponsored Links
Back