THE electrician

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My mum's gone and booked that spark who wired our consumer unit, for another job. she never learns. :evil: he just phoned, says he's busy tomorrow :eek: :LOL:

Anyway, the job's a little less complex this time, all he has to do is drill a 15-20mm hole thru 2 double skin walls, thread some SWA through, connect it to a metal box and run 6mm T+E up to the consumer unit he messed up, then test the shed wiring and check out the downstairs lighting circuit. Maybe he will tidy the CU up while he's in there. Do you think a cuppa might encourage good workmanship?

Sponsored Links
Would'nt she let you loose in there to tidy it up ??? Wait til he sees the shed end!!!

He'll wonder why the hell you called him up. Could'nt the fuse fairy have paid you a visit, or is it because you want him to check its all ok?? By the look on the forum pics, the shed install seems fine and I'm sure the tests will be fine. Good luck.

Bet he passes it off as being his work.

Hoping for an installation Certificate? Or Mum thinks the other guy will do it better?

Sponsored Links
jondiy said:
Would'nt she let you loose in there to tidy it up ??? Wait til he sees the shed end!!!

He'll wonder why the hell you called him up. Could'nt the fuse fairy have paid you a visit, or is it because you want him to check its all ok?? By the look on the forum pics, the shed install seems fine and I'm sure the tests will be fine. Good luck.

Bet he passes it off as being his work.
Well lets face it, and i'm not blowing my own trumpet, but my work is of a higher quality than what he has demonstrated, but thats because its in MY shed and i have to look at it every day. And as for tidying up his mess, i cant see a way around it, without re-making every single cable, and a lot of crimping. I dont want to pull the fuse, and I would have to isolate the power to move the CU down a bit, to get at the MCBs a bit better and neaten it up. Maybe i should ask him to fit an isolator in place of that DP henley block.

Before he comes, I'm going to swap a few MCBs around, theres a spare 20A one in the CU, i'm swapping it for the 32A one i bought for the shed end. Using the 32A one to supply the shed and have a 20A ring main at the shed, as someone suggested.

The main reason my mum called him was because we dont have a 14 inch long, 20mm dia drill bit, and associated drill :LOL: :rolleyes:

But she was going to get a spark to do final connection anyway, because i dont have the test equipment nessecary. Also very notifiable work :rolleyes:

JohnD, he already said he would issue a certificate if i have already wired it.:cool: nice guy ;)

Refresh my memory, mate...did you post a piccy of this choice handiwork?

I see what you mean Crafty!

Like SS says - why not DIY?

You could pick up a cheap drill & bit and use it for future projects?

I suppose testing is your only real problem but if you want to do electrical work in the future (as your posts suggest) then an all in one tester maybe a good investment - they are very reasonably priced these days!

Well here's the updated picture. Like i said, i have an electrician coming to inspect, test and cert, so feel free to nitpick at it.

Yes, the 60A terminal block on that banjo bolt is a bodge, but i dont own a set of crimpers, so if the electrician says its wrong, i'm sure he will correct it. I dont have any sleeving to identify the SWA cores, all i could find was a bit of heatshrink G/Y, so i used tape on the ends of the neutral and earth (ran out of heatshrink :oops: ).

http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/1268/dsc002572yh.jpg
http://img75.imageshack.us/img75/6844/dsc002548vz.jpg
http://img318.imageshack.us/img318/4250/dsc002656hq.jpg

Shall I ask him if he wants an apprentice?
:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

With ref to your electrician's work.

EXPOSED INCOMERS. AAAAARGH.

CHOC BLOCKS IN CU. AAAAARGH.

I reckon the way he's goin with his cables, won't be long before he pulls that cu away from the masonry. For what it would have cost for a smal piece of 3/4 ply. Bet the NIC would'nt have been happy if they saw that was his work.

God knows what mess he's gona make of it when he brings the SWA in. I wonder if he's ever terminated any before ???? I'd definitely get him to put a DP isolator in, then, when you have time, you can simply tidy it all up - and send him the bill!!!

As for your shed install, looks fine, not sure on the wire colours on the incomers though?

The NICEIC guidelines for use of three core harmonised cables on single phase installations is quite clear. They say you must use:

Brown - Phase
Grey (marked blue along its entire length) - Neutral
Black (marked green and yellow along its entire length) - Earth

This is done to disassociate black from bieng a neutral conductor , which it no longer is. It is also important that all installations use the same standard to prevent any risk / confusion in the future/

RF Lighting said:
marked... along its entire length

Hope that means "where exposed? Can't mark it in SWA. What about if in conduit?

Sorry yes where exposed. If in conduit presumably you would use to correct coloured singles rather than a three core cable.

crafty1289 said:

Based on his work in your CU I think the question should be - does he want to be your apprentice :LOL: :LOL:

Pensdown said:
crafty1289 said:

Based on his work in your CU I think the question should be - does he want to be your apprentice :LOL: :LOL:

Shucks, Pens, you beat me to it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back