electricians advice

Right, i have been contemplating ways to tidy this up myself.

Could i use one of these

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/GWBX763.html

to terminate the circuit cables and extend them into the CU by crimping? If i put the box right next to the CU can i use conduit singles without conduit? (just passing from box to box) Would i have to use glands to lead the T+Es into the box? Would this box be big enough to terminate 6/7 cables in? Could i go one smaller? External appearance is not an issue, it is under the stairs.

I will be tidying up the rest of the cables under the CU with plastic self-adhesive trunking.

Also, fault finding on the upstairs sockets: Can i do this myself? if so, what do i look for? Is it simply a case of going around all the sockets (and junction boxes) and looking for a bad connection or loose / shorting earth?

Has anyone ever bought from TLC online? What is their delivery service like?

EDIT: does ANYWHERE sell 10mm² crimps???????

Sponsored Links
Has anyone ever bought from TLC online? What is their delivery service like?

Yup - last order arrived after two days, a mis-picked item was replaced by hand - on the same day, IIRC - the only (minor) nark was thet they didn't include a copy of their catalogue. I am about to use them again, and I am happy to recommend.

Simon, finding Wholsesalers in Lithi is far from easy, you need local knowledge to find em...

Oh, and someone who speaks Lithuanian and English...Russian may help, but Lithuanian is the preferred choice as it is the official language..many Lithuanians can get annoyed if spoken to in Russuan..so you'd end up with Panda Kit instead of MK!! :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Just be careful this doean't happen:

burn.jpg

Don't know what happened there, seems I have duplicated my last post. Can you delete this, Mod?

crafty1289 said:
does ANYWHERE sell 10mm² crimps???????

Electrical Wholesalers mate.

What do you want to do with 10mm² that requires crimps?

Further, do you have the correct tools to safely and electrically install these crimps?

To be honest this is not a Job for a DIYer.

Further, do you have the correct tools to safely and electrically install these crimps?

i was planning to buy a ratchet crimper.

It was going to be for the shower cable, which my electrician has left in chock blox. :rolleyes:

I found some un-insulated 10mm² crimps on TLC just after posting that anyway

When you say he left them in a chock Block, how do you mean, is the shower working and current being pulled through these connection??

FWL_Engineer said:
When you say he left them in a chock Block, how do you mean, is the shower working and current being pulled through these connection??

Thats the way I understand it, the terminal blocks (am I the only person who calls them that?) are in the rats nest that is the cu, and don't look big enough to be correctly rated for the current pulled through the shower circuit

FWL, see the photos on page 1 (and 2?) of my CU and you will clearly see a couple of chock blocks. These are on the 10mm² feed to the 41Amp shower

crafty1289 said:
FWL, see the photos on page 1 (and 2?) of my CU and you will clearly see a couple of chock blocks. These are on the 10mm² feed to the 41Amp shower

I see what you mean, Yes the shoud be Through Crimped, however i would suggest that you complain to the NICEIC and get the fool back to tidy that unholy mess up, however I personally would not want him back and I would insist on an alternative contractor and that as per the rules of the NICEIC, the first muppet pays for that contractor.

That is assuming they are genuinly registered with the NICEIC, if he is not, then I would suggest that you call one in to correct that mess.

This what a board should look like when complete, this is one I did a couple of days ago..

This is what the area around it looks like..

or this one which is a dual board ..

Oh, and this is a riser cupboard in the same block...

Your incoming earth looks a bit tattily terminated.

Nice to know that it's not only me that gets a row of mcb's in a Sentry unit looking like it's smiling!!

securespark said:
Your incoming earth looks a bit tattily terminated.

Nice to know that it's not only me that gets a row of mcb's in a Sentry unit looking like it's smiling!!

That has been corrected since the pic was taken Simon, it's now properly sleeved, as is the Neutral, and the Main Bond now has a proper crimped terminal on it..I had run out at the time I did the board so terminated as in the picture until I went back to site the following day..

The smiling MCB's look great don't they!! :LOL:

shame they dont make brass consumer units and doorbells! - i would have thought MK had thought of that by now!

Very tidy jobs FWL. Can you come and do our consumer unit?? ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back