electricians advice

pdcelec, the guy had a box full of loose MCBs (maybe a trade assortment pack?), i suspect maybe hager are phasing out the older-looking black switched ones, and he has a few left over?

I'm surprised you all think mine looks so bad, you haven't seen the inside of it :confused: i caught a look as he was installing it, nearing completion, and it wasn't pretty.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
why didn't he just re-wire into the meter while he had the fuse out?
The meter has a security seal on it which needs to be broken in order to access the terminals. If you break the seal on the meter you may be open to prosecution or accused of stealing electricity. The only real legit way of doing this is to involve the electricity supply company which costs £££s. Some newer meters now have an isolator and the terminals have been made available which is ideal for replacing the tails.

That is a p**s poor job and I would not have let him leave it in that state, its awful and dangerous with the blank missing.

I would be ashamed to put my name to anythig like that.

Your main earth conductors are not labelled, the earth to the CU looks strained, and the copper pipe cleats are an odd solution to securing the tails. Personally, I don't secure tails that short.

Sponsored Links
crafty1289 said:
Anyway, the upstairs sockets dont need to be RCD protected . . .
That circuit has a fault. It is tripping the RCD even when nothing is plugged in. You do not deal with the fault by addressing the symptoms, i.e. move it to the non-RCD side, you find and fix the root cause.

I can buy a colour warning sticker . . .
You said he was a NICEIC contractor. He should therefore work to BS7671, which demands that he fit a warning sticker.

and a blank for the spare way . . .
He should never have left it like that. It is dangerous, and probably contravenes the manufacturers installation instructions, in which case it is no longer CE marked, and therefore contravenes the Building Regulations.

and i forgot, our shower is 9.5Kw (41.3A), but i can buy a 45A MCB and do a straight swap . . .
You shouldn't have to - you paid him to do all that sort of thing. Also, the circuit needs testing to ensure that a 45A MCB is appropriate, and you need to notify LABC in advance if you do it

And the labelling is nothing a bit of tippex cant sort out.
It's shoddy and shows lack of pride in his work.

I'm surprised you all think mine looks so bad, you haven't seen the inside of it :confused: i caught a look as he was installing it, nearing completion, and it wasn't pretty.
Post a few photos...

Im not worried
<shrug>

I'm surprised you all think mine looks so bad, you haven't seen the inside of it icon_confused.gif i caught a look as he was installing it, nearing completion, and it wasn't pretty.

Post a few photos...

but please don't kill yourself taking the cover off the cu.

FWL_Engineer said:
Well for comparison, I recently did a CU change for someone that had a TT feed, the board will be upgrading to PME in the next 6 Months, but not just yet.

Anyway, I bought a Nive New MEM 12 Way enclosure c/w 100A 300mA 2.5sec Time delayed Type S RCD Main switch and 8 MCBs for the princely sum of £59.62 +VAT (£70.05). I then purchased two 32A 30mA RCBO's and one 40A 30mA RCBO (£67.89+VAT){£79.77} Total).

Materials costs were then £127.51 +VAT (£149.82)

I swapped over the boards and labelled them correctly using a Label Maker. Tested the Installation and completed a PIR.

Total Work Time, 4.5 hours Charge to Client was Materials @ £149.82 + 5 Hours Labour (inc VAT) @ £150.81, so the invoice totalled (Including VAT) £300.63.

Now I could, if not a TT supply have done this slightly cheaper, the board configuration would be different, the two groundfloor socket circuits would still have required RCBO's though as both supply equipemtn that is regularly used in the gardens, and the Shower would still be on the 40A RCBO. It would only be the Main RCD that would get changed for an Isolator, and this would have reduced the cost by about £15 +VAT fro the wholesalers.

So you can see, to have a Job done properly, you need to shell out some money.

I personally think that the standard of work you have recieved falled way below the acceptable minimum standard anyone should expect from any tradesman, and I would be horrified if I saw a spark leave a job in that condition. It certainly implies that the Test Certificate may not be correct, and you should consider contacting the NICEIC, sending them photo's of the work and how it's been left and asking them to step in..you said he is NICEIC registered, so let themn earn their fees.

Pretty much my thoughts,
Price is not nessacarilly material but you do tend to get what you pay for it does not always follow that a high priced job is better than a low one. It is only one possible indicator.
However Yes contact the NICEIC however do not expect much from them sadly

not pretty is it? A few things strike me straight away. He went to the trouble of extending the meter tails, why didnt he make them that big longer so they could exit the CU at the right and go AROUND rather than THRU, making it a lot neater. Also, bare copper is exposed on the tails.

The chock blocks are on the shower cable, presumably because he didn't have any crimps big enough for 10mm². It seems he labelled all the lives, but forgot what they meant (drunken labelling). Any other comments?

Apart from the fact that it was thrown together by a semi drunken monkey?

There appears to be a black cable connected to a terminal block with an earth and has yellow/green tape thrown round it, what is this? and why is it like this?

exposed copper at isolater and mcbs

What is going on with the neutral from the T&E on the right, does this sparky not own a pair of side cutters, or is it just the knowledge on how to use them properly that he lacks?, similar thing with earths on the left

In the space between the two banks of mcbs an earth just seems to disappear, does it just end in mid air, maybe he coun't be bothered to connect it to the earth block? (to be fair, it could just be that the thing is such an untidy mess that I can't actually see it properly)

Neutrals and earths not in mcb order

Are those terminal blocks correctly rated and tightened properly, though they will probably be strained and put strain on other stuff when the cover is forced over them, this is compounded by the fact that they are in what is an untidy mess to start with, before you count them.

Cable mess is not limited to the inside of the cu, there is a complete mess below it as well

Did you just say he was NIC :rolleyes: :eek:

The "black" is actually the CPC of the shower cable, wrapped in black in the absence of any earth sleeving fat enough. Our spark did wrap this in earth tape and extend it.

The neutral on the right is one end of the upstairs ring, which he had connected to the RCD side, presumably he left it long so it could be reconnected to the RCD side after the fault was found some time in the future. :rolleyes:

crafty1289 said:
The chock blocks are on the shower cable
Those do not look like 50A choc-blocks to me...

crafty1289 said:
The "black" is actually the CPC of the shower cable, wrapped in black in the absence of any earth sleeving fat enough. Our spark did wrap this in earth tape and extend it.
So this NICEIC approved contractor had no 10mm² G/Y in the van?

And I hope those 2 neutrals visible behind the unused upstairs MCB acquire some sheath before they pass by the busbar...

Is the main earth even screwed down, as it looks as the the screw is missing on the picture.

Did he Ze test the install?

Not at all good is it?
Sadly it`s not the worst job I`ve seen done by NIC I know one that`s rougher

Ze was found to be .13ohm, not sure where this was measured from though.

ebee, please can we have a picture?? i need cheering up! ;)

by the way, part p considered, i have wired the socket ring up in my shed today, 3 double sockets inside on a ring. Also wired 2 flourescent lights up and a PIR sensor light outside, to a 2-gang switch, looped in at the switch with all blues twisted and put in chock block and taped up. Used earth sleeving on all CPCs at all sockets and the switch. Will be fitting the new CU myself, and running 6mm 3 core SWA to the house with a 32A MCB in the CU there. Will post a picture of MY CU when its done so we can compare this NIC guy's effort with mine, see who has done a better job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back