The House is Being Rewired 10 (YouTube Video Unbelievable)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Go to YouTube and tap in 'The house is being rewired 10'.

This is a council rewire, concentrating on the kitchen here. Absolutely dreadful work.

Sponsored Links
That's disgraceful. Not only is the work downright dangerous, the state they've left that guys house in is atrocious! I appreciate they've probably only popped out for lunch, I wouldn't leave that much crap everywhere if I was just going out to smoke. In fact, I wouldn't have that much crap spread all over the place to begin with!

Go to YouTube and tap in 'The house is being rewired 10'.
Or just click this, which would have taken no longer to put in your post than the title for people to search for.

As for the work - it's what people have democratically voted for - stop moaning.

Sponsored Links
Am I seeing singles in trunking? The way the camera flits around hard to tell, but for a place where an ordinary person is in control I would not have expected singles in trunking. 22nd April 2015 is date posted as to when taken is another question.

I had never really considered before, but in a rented house if there are restrictions as to putting screws in walls and playing with the fabric of the house for the tenant then it's not under the control of an ordinary person. So I suppose there is not problem with trunking, or using type tested distribution units? It is the same as an commercial premises.

I had never really considered before, but in a rented house if there are restrictions as to putting screws in walls and playing with the fabric of the house for the tenant then it's not under the control of an ordinary person.
I'm not sure I understand that. The fact that the occupant is restricted in what they can do to the fabric of the building surely does not mean that they would necessarily have any of the training, knowledge or skill which, in relation to an electrical installation, would render them a 'non-ordinary person', does it?

The point surely is that if an installation is 'under the control' of someone with electrical training/knowledge/skills, then some of the safety-related regulations can be relaxed?

Kind Regards, John

Isn't that what he meant?

The electrical installation is not under the control of the tenant, whereas it is with a homeowner.

Isn't that what he meant? .... The electrical installation is not under the control of the tenant, whereas it is with a homeowner.
And the homeowner has the required training/knowledge/skills to be regarded, in terms of electrical installations, as a 'non-ordinary person'?

When you look at the relaxations of regulatory requirtements that exist when an electrical installation is 'under the control' of someone who is not an 'ordinary person', I also suspect that 'in control of' is intended to be on a day-to-day basis, not really possible for an absentee owner.

Kind Regards, John

And the homeowner has the required training/knowledge/skills to be regarded, in terms of electrical installations, as a 'non-ordinary person'?
That is unrelated to the fact that in a rented property the electrical installation is not under the control of the tenant.

That is unrelated to the fact that in a rented property the electrical installation is not under the control of the tenant.
... but nor, as I just said, do I think that it can sensibly be regarded as being 'under the control' of an absentee owner/landlord.

However, I still don't understand eric's point. Whoever one regards as 'being in control' of the electrical installation, I don't see what reason there is to assume that it is not 'an ordinary person' (in relation to electrical matters), which is what is relevant in terms of BS7671.

As I said before, it is fairly obvious what is the intent and spirit of BS7671's distinction between 'ordinary persons' and others, and an 'ordinary member of the general public' who happens to be the owner/landlord of a property surely cannot be regarded as anything other than an 'ordinary person' as far as BS7671 is concerned?

Kind Regards, John

As I said before, it is fairly obvious what is the intent and spirit of BS7671's distinction between 'ordinary persons' and others, and an 'ordinary member of the general public' who happens to be the owner/landlord of a property surely cannot be regarded as anything other than an 'ordinary person' as far as BS7671 is concerned?
That is unrelated to the fact that in a rented property the electrical installation is not under the control of the person(s) living there.

Whatever question marks hang over who does have control of it, it is clearly not the person(s) living there.

Whatever question marks hang over who does have control of it, it is clearly not the person(s) living there.
Well, although, as I've said, I think is scope for discussion about what BS7671 means by "in control of", I'm prepared to accept what you are asserting for the purpose of what we are discussing ....

.... BS 7671 is not interested in who is not 'in control' of the installation, so why does the fact that you believe that it is not the tenant who is 'in control' make it any more likely (let alone certain) that the person(s) (whoever) who is/are 'in control' of it is/are not an 'ordinary person(s)' (which is the only situation which would make a difference as far as BS 7671 is concerned)??

Kind Regards, John

Am I seeing singles in trunking?

You are seeing singles chased into a brick wall about to be plastered over.

There is some surface trunking run horizontally also containing singles though.

In the follow-up video, The House is Being Rewired 12, it appears some mini trunking lid has been stuck over the singles in the chases.

Am I seeing singles in trunking?

Sorry to Hi-Jack this thread, but where are singles in conduit allowed. Where I work, in our access restricted server room, there is a corner cover missing of a piece of modular trunking where singles can be seen going round the corner. Building was built around 2000, I take it this is compliant and ok.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back