The House is Being Rewired 10 (YouTube Video Unbelievable)

I have over the years noted that the Germans free air the cables around corners, it has been picked up on many times how their methods don't really comply with our rules. Their conduit is used as a straight run, and at the end it has a fitting to stop chafing and then free air to next bit of conduit.

521.10.1 Non-sheathed cables for fixed wiring shall be enclosed in conduit, ducting or trunking. This requirement does not apply to a protective conductor complying with Section 543.
Non-sheathed cables are permitted if the cable trunking system provides at least the degree of protection IP4X or IPXXD. or if the cover can only be removed by means of a tool or a deliberate action.

I had not noted the "deliberate action" bit before. We also have:

543.3.6 Every joint in metallic conduit shall be mechanically and electrically continuous.

I only have BS7671:2008 so may be changes?

I find we in general have been taught what is permitted over the years, and often we can't relate this to a set regulation, I was taught for example we should not have a fig of 8 in ring finals, and when inspecting and testing we should test to see if we have any fig of 8's in the ring, seem to remember we followed a book 3 issued by the IEE as it was then. However I can't find any regulation to state this, same as the number of cables in a conduit, it is in the guide to the 16th edition, but never found it in the 16th edition.

Since the 17th edition I have questioned the use of metal capping:

522.6.8 Irrespective of the depth of the cable from a surface of the wall or partitions, in an installation not intended to be under the supervision of a skilled or instructed person. a cable concealed in a wall or partition the internal construction of which includes metallic part, other than metallic fixings such as nails, screws and the like, shall:

Since metal capping is not earthed its use means the wall includes metallic parts, it was used to protect cables from the plasters trowel, and it did not flex like the plastic stuff so it was easier to plaster over, in the main I would say the oval conduit has replaced metal capping although it was also used over micro bore central heating pipes so is still available.

But these rules are down to how we interpret them, we have debated on here things like does a RCD form a circuit, it was a grey area, not read the new regulations so maybe now better defined? But my point is not to start up yet another debate, but to point out we do interpret what we read, it does not say you must use sheathed cables, but tells us what we must do with non-sheathed cables.

I always felt the C&G2382 should not simply ask what the BS7671 says, but should give an example and ask it this is permitted in a similar way to C&G2391 but all it does at least when I took the exam is show you can read, it does not show you have understood what you have read.

Sponsored Links
521.10.1 ..... Non-sheathed cables are permitted if the cable trunking system provides at least the degree of protection IP4X or IPXXD. or if the cover can only be removed by means of a tool or a deliberate action.
I thought that you had picked up another nonsense in the regs, because that "or" would make a joke of it - i.e. one could have massive holes in the trunking provided that the cover (or what was left of it!) could only be removed with a tool or a deliberate action.

However, at least in terms of the BYB, it is actually a typo - the BYB says "and", not "or". Did you type that yourself, or is it a typo in a version earlier than the BYB (I don't have my old versions immediately to hand)?

Kind Regards, John

That wiring is appalling to the extreme. I like how the camera man is so cheerful, I sure as hell wouldn't be. I know rewiring is messy but to work like that is unbelievable.

Sorry to Hi-Jack this thread, but where are singles in conduit allowed. Where I work, in our access restricted server room, there is a corner cover missing of a piece of modular trunking where singles can be seen going round the corner. Building was built around 2000, I take it this is compliant and ok.

Singles in full trunking are ok - as long as the singles enter the accessories and go through walls in the correct manner.

I don't think it's particularly ok for any trunking lids to be missing and leaving exposed singles. There seem to be a lot of jobs that never get completely 'finished'.

There is a multi-storey car park near me with new steel conduit and singles, and just about every besa box lid is missing, been like it for a few years now.

Sponsored Links
I thought that you had picked up another nonsense in the regs, because that "or" would make a joke of it - i.e. one could have massive holes in the trunking provided that the cover (or what was left of it!) could only be removed with a tool or a deliberate action.

However, at least in terms of the BYB, it is actually a typo - the BYB says "and", not "or". Did you type that yourself, or is it a typo in a version earlier than the BYB (I don't have my old versions immediately to hand)?

Kind Regards, John
I did an OCR scan of the book years ago, it makes finding things so much easier, but it was fully of errors, over the years I have corrected most, but clearly that is one I got wrong when correcting.

I do think the work is rather bad, I remember my son doing rewires on council houses, he hated the job as he was forced to do things he did not like, for example any changes to simple ceiling rose and shade he had to rip out and throw in the skip, and the tenant not only lost their lovely lamp, but also got charged to convert it back to standard.

He was told exactly where cables were to run, most in trunking, and the firm he worked for were very strict on the rules as it seems council ran a three strikes and out policy, so they got exactly what they asked for, no leeway.

As to if this house was council owned I don't know, but it seems strange that any council would allow a rewire like that.

I did an OCR scan of the book years ago, it makes finding things so much easier, but it was fully of errors, over the years I have corrected most, but clearly that is one I got wrong when correcting.
Fair enough - that explains it. As you say, I presume it is one which you "corrected incorrectly", since I can't see OCR software mistaking "or" for "and"!

Scanning the whole book must have been a pretty tedious exercise!

Kind Regards, John

Mini trunking and surface sockets- yuck. Mind, I wouldn't fancy working in all that clutter

Sorry to Hi-Jack this thread, but where are singles in conduit allowed. Where I work, in our access restricted server room, there is a corner cover missing of a piece of modular trunking where singles can be seen going round the corner. Building was built around 2000, I take it this is compliant and ok.
Singles in dado trunking is far easier to work with I find, though i think its not in the regs I also prefer to keep the earth conducters the same size as the L and N

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back