• Properly cooked fried eggs ham and chips

Votes: 1 3.7%
  • McDonalds

• Vegetarian / vegan

• Total voters
Sponsored Links
I've never heard of Katsu Curry, so I looked it up and found that it is Japanese. How that can be mentioned in talk of our national dishes I don't know, but I'm sure it's very nice. It must be a London thing, and London is an international city with international food. I prefer local food for local people, which means bread and butter, fish and chips, pie and chips, cakes, biscuits, mashed potatoes and gravy, mashed carrots and gravy, roast beef, lamb, brisket, gammon, ham and mustard, cheese and onion, crisps. Cabbage! Sprouts! Apple pie and custard afterwards please.

I love the differences, when you move from county to county in England, in the cookery, especially when you go the smaller or more remote places that have no big name supermarkets. When the supermarkets move in everything becomes the same and the streets fill with plastic litter.

I do like curry and Chinese food - in small doses - but never got to like pizzas and burgers, and I wouldn't go near McDonalds, Greggs or Starbucks even if I were desperate. That's real junk food! Much better to find a local, long established café, cake shop or church tea room or refectory.

Then there's Scotland - they know how to cook. The food is often much tastier up there. Venison, haggis, roe deer and a thousand-and-one things to do with with mince.

Then there's Wales and their faggots!

I've never heard of Katsu Curry, so I looked it up and found that it is Japanese. How that can be mentioned in talk of our national dishes I don't know, but I'm sure it's very nice. It must be a London thing, and London is an international city with international food. I prefer local food for local people, which means bread and butter, fish and chips, pie and chips, cakes, biscuits, mashed potatoes and gravy, mashed carrots and gravy, roast beef, lamb, brisket, gammon, ham and mustard, cheese and onion, crisps. Cabbage! Sprouts! Apple pie and custard afterwards please.

I love the differences, when you move from county to county in England, in the cookery, especially when you go the smaller or more remote places that have no big name supermarkets. When the supermarkets move in everything becomes the same and the streets fill with plastic litter.

I do like curry and Chinese food - in small doses - but never got to like pizzas and burgers, and I wouldn't go near McDonalds, Greggs or Starbucks even if I were desperate. That's real junk food! Much better to find a local, long established café, cake shop or church tea room or refectory.

Then there's Scotland - they know how to cook. The food is often much tastier up there. Venison, haggis, roe deer and a thousand-and-one things to do with with mince.

Then there's Wales and their faggots!
Are you quite old by any chance?

You know what I love about people like you? It's that you've not a clue!
Did you know that chips come from Belgium? And fried fish isn't a UK invention... cabbage is from China... how about sprouts? I think the clue is in the full name - Brussels sprouts. Not British.. bread originated in the Middle East

I could go on.... but I won't. I will say that I am grateful for the rich, varied diet we have, past and present because of people exploring the world and immigration. How lucky we are :)

Ps, I mentioned my fav dish - Katsu. I am well aware that it's not British. However, unlike yourself who seems to have his taste of food firmly in the past, Katsu curry is very popular in the UK, brought in part no doubt by the Wagammama restaurant chain. Over a 100 stores, believe it or not, not all in London........ and you can buy it as ready meals in many a supermarket.

Last edited by a moderator:

Did you know that chips come from Belgium? And fried fish isn't a UK invention... cabbage is from China... how about sprouts? I think the clue is in the full name - Brussels sprouts. Not British.. bread originated in the Middle East

I could go on.... but I won't. I will say that I am grateful for the rich, varied diet we have, past and present because of people exploring the world and immigration. How lucky we are :)

Ps, I mentioned my fav dish - Katsu. I am well aware that it's not British. However, unlike yourself who seems to have his taste of food firmly in the past, Katsu curry is very popular in the UK, brought in part no doubt by the Wagammama restaurant chain. Over a 100 stores, believe it or not, not all in London........ and you can buy it as ready meals in many a supermarket.

So what - did I say something wrong? I'd like to try Katsu curry and will look out for it when I'm next in a Japanese restaurant - yes I have been in Japanese restaurants.

Would you give the "UK" and its old people credit for anything?

Why are you here? Are you not the product of "UK" old people?

Sponsored Links

Andy made some valid points not offensive.

One thing I like about me, I love food. I had a girlfriend once who I loved she was beautiful sexy and a nice person. I was never going to marry her. She did not have the adventure of food that I have.
Best to name what I don't like as I like everything else.
Job I'm looking at tomorrow, she's Japanese let's see where this goes. Maybe Sushi with my Tea.

PS There's more than one thing I like about myself.

Food is a great ice breaker.
I used to work servicing Bangladeshi areas in London.
Very shy I'd say they were.
I'd talk to them about Bangladesh and when I'd tell them that I've been to Bangladesh, the food would come out and they would open up.. This skill does require a personality.

The poll doesn't lie

Sunday Roast is our national dish.
Even if puddings come from Yorkshire
Sweeds come from sweden
Potatatos from Iraland
Brussels from Brussels you can not beat a roast dinner that is cooked well.

If you have never tried a cup of tea with Spicy food, then you need to try it.

not to spicy but just a nice tingle.

So what - did I say something wrong? I'd like to try Katsu curry and will look out for it when I'm next in a Japanese restaurant - yes I have been in Japanese restaurants.

Would you give the "UK" and its old people credit for anything?

Why are you here? Are you not the product of "UK" old people?
Your preference for 'local food for local people' instead of international comment came over as yet another put down of foreign stuff, of which seems to be your fav hobby. You then went on and listed food that you think is British when actually, when you look back, not all are. As I said, you seem pretty clueless. The UK has been multicultural for hundreds of years and we are much the richer for it, including some of your fav 'local food for local people' dishes. Aren't you lucky?

Scottish food is some of the worst food I've ever encountered. Their availability of fresh veg was poor - I used to have to buy it and eat it in the same day when I lived in Edinburgh, otherwise it went rotten. They deep fry many foods, famously mars bars, but chippies up there would cover anything you wanted in batter and deep fry it. I guess that's why Scotland has the worst obesity rate in the whole of Europe and the worst diet. Funny how you rate it so highly!!
https://www.scotsman.com/news/scots-admit-to-worst-diet-1-2792699

By the way, Greggs & Starbucks make sarnies, cakes and cuppa's. I don't see how those places selling sarnies, cakes and hot drinks are much worse than your local cafe who sell the same. I'd not eat a Greggs anyway, don't want to be giving money to a paedophile for when he gets out of jail.

By the way, Greggs & Starbucks make sarnies, cakes and cuppa's. I don't see how those places selling sarnies, cakes and hot drinks are much worse than your local cafe who sell the same.

It's about giving your money directly to local businesses rather than to big, tax-dodging multinationals to take out of the country. Oops I was racist again!

Your preference for 'local food for local people' instead of international comment came over as yet another put down of foreign stuff, of which seems to be your fav hobby. You then went on and listed food that you think is British when actually, when you look back, not all are. As I said, you seem pretty clueless. The UK has been multicultural for hundreds of years and we are much the richer for it, including some of your fav 'local food for local people' dishes. Aren't you lucky?

Scottish food is some of the worst food I've ever encountered. Their availability of fresh veg was poor - I used to have to buy it and eat it in the same day when I lived in Edinburgh, otherwise it went rotten. They deep fry many foods, famously mars bars, but chippies up there would cover anything you wanted in batter and deep fry it. I guess that's why Scotland has the worst obesity rate in the whole of Europe and the worst diet. Funny how you rate it so highly!!
https://www.scotsman.com/news/scots-admit-to-worst-diet-1-2792699

By the way, Greggs & Starbucks make sarnies, cakes and cuppa's. I don't see how those places selling sarnies, cakes and hot drinks are much worse than your local cafe who sell the same. I'd not eat a Greggs anyway, don't want to be giving money to a paedophile for when he gets out of jail.

Love Haggis and Tatts.
i found Bulgarian food very stogie and not healthy at all, Still enjoyed it
The Bulgarian women were all so beautiful and healthy looking. so they are doing something right, maybe they just fed me the crap.

All national dishes must have radically changed over the years.

Take Indian "curry" for example. What was in it originally? Can't have been tomatoes, Potatoes, Chilli or Coriander as they're not Asian native species. Just as apples aren't native to North America, so as American as Apple pie is rubbish.

What on earth our forebears ate on this island I don't know, almost everything we eat is an import originally.

It's about giving your money directly to local businesses rather than to big, tax-dodging multinationals to take out of the country. Oops I was racist again!
Say what? Greggs is British, and it pays it's fair tax. Where on earth do you get your ideas?

Sponsored Links
Back