The Police Don't

• Thread starter cumbriahandyman
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
C

cumbriahandyman

In January of this year, I was threatened by someone I had a bit of bother with. He threatened to damage my car.

On Monday morning of this week, I noticed some minor damage to the paintwork of my car and some slightly more damage to my rear number plate. Some sort of liquid had been thrown on it.

I did not report it to the police as I thought it would be a wast of time for such a minor thing, believing that if I did they would do nothing anyway.

This morning I found both sides of my car had been scratched from front to rear right down to the primer.

Called the police who turned up (two of them) at 7 pm. Told them the story, told them who I believed had done it and showed them the damage.

I noticed that although they wrote down my name, address, telephone number and date of birth, they did not make a note of the name of the person I gave them.

They never even asked for his address. Just before they left I asked if they were going to have a word with the person whose name I had given them. The answer was no. When I asked why I was told there is no evidence that it was this person.

I am now thinking that he damaged my car on Monday, never heard from the plod, so came back on Wednesday/Thursday and did a bit more serious damage. Given that he again will not hear from the plod, even knowing that I will have given them his name, what can I expect next?

Should I complain to a higher authority? Or would I be wasting my time again?[/url]

Sponsored Links
Did the police ask why you thought it was this person and why he made threats to damage your car?

You should have contacted the police earlier. Though from reading some of your posts you don't seem to have much faith in the police.

Lets have the whole story!

Edit.
Saying that it does sound odd that the police say they are not contacting this guy who could have a criminal record.

Try to avoid conflict where possible. Its not worth the hassle, or in this case, worry.

Sponsored Links
Unfortunately you have made an enemy of somebody who has the mentality of an urban terrorist who can get at you but you may not able to get at them. It is all to easy to go out and damage somebodies property and get away with it if they are not seen. The police cannot help because they have to work within constraints. All you can do nowadays is to try and video the event and hope the police act on it. Having a threat witnessed is something the police have to act on. Because that is an offence. I wouldn't want your problem. :confused:

Saying that it does sound odd that the police say they are not contacting this guy who could have a criminal record.

And if it turns out that the police contact this chap and it turns out not to be him, the OP may have two people targetting him :(

Police today are more worried about meeting targets. This is why they'd rather stop and report a motorist doing 35 in a 30 speed limit. That way, it's a crime that can be reported as solved.
Round our way the police tell us that crime figures are going down, then tell us in the next breath, that burglaries are up on last years figures. They then guesstimate the amount of crime that doesn't get reported. And guess what,,, unreported crime is down :eek: :eek:

If it's unreported, then how on earth do they know it's going down?? ;) ;) ;) ;)

Sounds like the police are just as economical with the truth, as the criminals are. ;) ;)

Set up a video camera and record events through the night. Put up a Flood Light that has a PIR so it will trigger when they go near the car.

just remember if there was no evidence to assist you there will be evidence against you, so get it dealt with

Kirk, you have lost me there.

Ok no evidence, just a suspician.

How does not having evidence to assist me provide evidence against me?

How do I get it dealt with if the police won't do anything?

The police do not need evidence to question a suspect, they don't even need evidence to arrest a suspect.

Surely, the evidence is there in the form of damage to the OP's vehicle? Even a suspicion about who is causing the damage, should at least be investigated by the police. (Just try telling them you suspect one of your neighbours of robbing a bank, or dealing drugs and they will investigate.) Problem is they just can't be bothered to investigate, what they see as a minor crime these days, unless it's an absolute cut and dry case. It's time the police were made accountable for their inaction.

What they consider to be a minor crime, certainly doesn't feel like a minor crime to the victim.

I'd say set up a CCTV cam.

Doesn't need to be expensive, a webcam would do. Set the computer up near a window that's a good view of your car. Whoever it is has obviously fixated on your car so that's what you should film.

Leave it running all night if need be, hard-disc space isn't much of an issue nowadays.

If you've got a PIR lamp that goes on when someone comes near your car (assuming you park outside your house) then that will light up the scene better for the camera.

What bad thing (or imagined bad thing) did you do that makes this person think they have the right to vandalise your property?

In my previous home my neighbour keyed up my OH's car because she unknowingly parked in her space... A minor faux pas, she could have just blocked her in or used my space, there was plenty of room. Some people see the slightest thing done wrong as an invitation to a completely out-of-proportion response. You parked in my space and it was a minor inconvenience, so I ruined your car. Great. That makes sense.

Wait at least a year, get yourself an alibi and have him erased. simples!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back