The power of propaganda.

So why are farmers selling milk at below cost?
Because they are being screwed by the supermarkets who try and get one over their competition.(but I think things are improving).

What is your counter-argument for this?

That the supermarkets sell four pints of milk for a pound is not my fault. I am not going to give them an extra fifty pence - or pound - but if the price were £1.50 - or £2.00 - what would I do? Yes, of course, buy it.

So, you would pay more for British strawberries? Most people buy on price, and buy foreign if it is noticeably cheaper.
That is up to them. The foreign ones are rubbish due to being picked too early because of the transport time.

Do youngsters realise that strawberries are supposed to be all red - and soft?

That is why the British shoe industry in Northamptonshire collapsed, and textiles in Leicester collapsed.
You could say that about most of manufacturing - shipbuilding, steel etc.

As regards imports, we now get a lot more imported fruit and veg, due to more countries in the EU, and cheap transport costs. Oddly strawberries might survive higher wages because they are delicate, but raspberries, apples, cherries, carrots etc won't because they travel well.
That is because of the modern business method - to export the work.
We have always imported cheap labour.

Importing coal from Australia does not seem economic nor logical but that's another story - of vindictiveness, subterfuge and lies.

Sponsored Links
So why are farmers selling milk at below cost?
Because they are being screwed by the supermarkets who try and get one over their competition.(but I think things are improving).

What is your counter-argument for this?

That the supermarkets sell four pints of milk for a pound is not my fault. I am not going to give them an extra fifty pence - or pound - but if the price were £1.50 - or £2.00 - what would I do? Yes, of course, buy it.

So, you would pay more for British strawberries? Most people buy on price, and buy foreign if it is noticeably cheaper.
That is up to them. The foreign ones are rubbish due to being picked too early because of the transport time.

Do youngsters realise that strawberries are supposed to be all red - and soft?

That is why the British shoe industry in Northamptonshire collapsed, and textiles in Leicester collapsed.
You could say that about most of manufacturing - shipbuilding, steel etc.

As regards imports, we now get a lot more imported fruit and veg, due to more countries in the EU, and cheap transport costs. Oddly strawberries might survive higher wages because they are delicate, but raspberries, apples, cherries, carrots etc won't because they travel well.
That is because of the modern business method - to export the work.
We have always imported cheap labour.

Importing coal from Australia does not seem economic nor logical but that's another story - of vindictiveness, subterfuge and lies.

You seem to be putting forwards arguments to support the view that UK farmers can't afford to pay more.

Personally I now grow carrots, courgettes, beans, leeks, spring onions, currants etc, you'd be amazed at how much better home grown can be. And no pesticides.

By the way British manufacturing can compete if management invest in machinery, and staff. All too often they don't.

You seem to be putting forwards arguments to support the view that UK farmers can't afford to pay more.
I was answering your question regarding milk.

Personally I now grow carrots, courgettes, beans, leeks, spring onions, currants etc, you'd be amazed at how much better home grown can be. And no pesticides.
We are in agreement, then.

By the way British manufacturing can compete if management invest in machinery, and staff. All too often they don't.
They almost never have. That is why the foreign owned companies do better.
So-called crap car workers now doing well owned by the Japanese.

Personally I would and do pay more for British strawberries because the foreign ones are shytte

Sponsored Links
Personally I would and do pay more for British strawberries because the foreign ones are shytte

Plus one. The doris insists on Brit strawbs from Sainsbury. The spanish ones taste crap. Odd cos when we're over in Spain the fruit and veg is lovely??

I agree. As I indicated earlier, strawbs are not a good example, as ours are better. But foreign leeks, carrots, cherries, and so on do compete on quality, as they travel well.

I always assume that all Spanish vegetables are grown in human manure so I never buy it.

Back