The Super Fuse

Sorry. I omitted to put 13A in my original post.
Corrected.

Sponsored Links
I seem to remember using special cable for thermocouples which had two different materials in the two cores to auto compensate and one did have to connect them the correct way around. Clearly a DC not AC voltage and very low voltage and current.

Now speaker cable also comes with non copper cores not a clue what it's made from but it will not solder so not copper. So what he says about polarity is not complete rubbish but it is getting close to rubbish. However that tiny bit of truth is enough to allow him to get away with it.

As to the fuse if not to BS 1362 then one could produce a fuse which will blow faster or slower and emit more or less heat. But to BS 1362 hands are really tied very little one can do with it.

But when we do tests we have to use some very accurate measuring devices to measure the results I would suggest using a wife is not accurate enough measuring device.

I remember being shown the output of a valve amplifier compared with a transistor amplifier and there was a marked difference. Neither were linear and the transistor one was more linear than the valve but the fact the valve was not linear compensated for other non linear problems with the recording and also non linear problems with the speakers so the net result was the valve did sound more true to life than the transistor as it was compensating for problems elsewhere. Two wrongs can make a right.

However as there other components were improved it resulted in the valve over compensating it may sound better but that's not the point we want it to sound true to the original sound.

Or do we. When I take photographs I process them to give a pleasing picture and will often convert them to monochrome. The view I saw was not in monochrome it was in full colour but I have decided I want black and white. It is the same with music something we warp it often making the bass far louder than it would have been when played.

We see the placebo used in medication and the person feels better. So why not with music. Some times telling some one the emperor's new clothes are invisible is as true today as in 1837.

The audiophiles are complete mugs, idiots that will pay for gold plated HDMI leads etc when they do not need to.
They will pay the money asked for this fuse because they are stupid enough to.

However, surely trading standards need informing with complaints about it, they must have enough powers to do something about this

Sponsored Links
We see the placebo used in medication and the person feels better. So why not with music.
Indeed, and that is probably the only sense in which these ridiculous products may be perceived as having benefits in the minds of the purchasers. With medication, not only can placebo make people feel better, but an oft-quoted trial undertaken a very long time ago (and which almost certainly would be impossible to conduct today!) showed that, if patients are required to pay for their medication, more expensive medications (even placebo) make them feel more better than do cheaper ones!

However, I don't think any of that justifies what we're talking about - which is, at least from the viewpoint of a legal layman, seems to be about as close to fraud as makes no difference!

Kind Regards, John

I think the cost thing still happens with medication.

People buy branded off the shelf painkillers rather than the generics...

I think the cost thing still happens with medication. ... People buy branded off the shelf painkillers rather than the generics...
They do, in a big way, but that's a lot more complicated than just cost. There are issues like 'brand confidence' and the marketing/promotion of branded (but not generic) products. A good few people would probably buy, and perceive 'better benefit' from, branded products even if they were no more expensive than generics.

Kind Regards, John

http://www.russandrews.com/popindex...&customer_id=PAA2055045915886OUKRDSFBZEQRMDCQ

Assessing the performance of our products

The descriptions of sound and picture quality improvements in our product descriptions are based on our experience of using our products both here at Russ Andrews Accessories and in our own systems at home.

We believe that assessing sound quality is a very personal thing. Hearing, like other senses, is subjective by its very nature - as such, the descriptions are necessarily our subjective opinion.

While we have described what we heard when we auditioned the products, we appreciate that every system is unique! That’s precisely why we offer you a 60 Day Home Trial with money back guarantee on all standard cables and accessories. This is to allow you to assess the improvements gained with them in your own system at home. That’s two months to ensure you are getting the very best upgrade for your investment.

Having spent £xxxx buying some snake-oil device I'd imagine most hi-fi geeks would still refuse to admit they might have been conned and seek to exercise a refund procedure. The king's new clothes still exist in the eyes of those who don't wish to lose face.

http://www.russandrews.com/popindex.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&article_id=ouropinion&customer_id=PAA2055045915886OUKRDSFBZEQRMDCQ

Assessing the performance of our products

The descriptions of sound and picture quality improvements in our product descriptions are based on our experience of using our products both here at Russ Andrews Accessories and in our own systems at home.

We believe that assessing sound quality is a very personal thing. Hearing, like other senses, is subjective by its very nature - as such, the descriptions are necessarily our subjective opinion.

While we have described what we heard when we auditioned the products, we appreciate that every system is unique! That’s precisely why we offer you a 60 Day Home Trial with money back guarantee on all standard cables and accessories. This is to allow you to assess the improvements gained with them in your own system at home. That’s two months to ensure you are getting the very best upgrade for your investment.

So that's how they sidestep the fraud / advertising-claims questions; they suggest that it's impossible to disprove what they, personally and subjectively, think about the "improvement" in sound quality.

Having spent £xxxx buying some snake-oil device I'd imagine most hi-fi geeks would still refuse to admit they might have been conned and seek to exercise a refund procedure. The king's new clothes still exist in the eyes of those who don't wish to lose face.
All true - but, in any event, those sort of people will probably have convinced themselves (because it was so expensive!) that the product is providing a benefit, anyway!

Kind Regards, John

if you thaught 20quid for a fuse was bad, you missed this:

http://www.russandrews.com/product.asp?lookup=1&region=UK&currency=GBP&pf_id=1564[/QUOTE]

That's just astonishing - £5,500 for a mains cable - I wonder how many they sold?

ridiculous advert said:
The cable’s 24 pure silver conductors mean that it has very low mains impedance, perfect for the biggest Hi-Fi power amps and multi-channel Home Cinema amps. The number of conductors, coupled with the SawyerDiscs, also means that the cable has the best interference-rejecting properties of any of our cables, bringing significant upgrades to CD players, DVD players, tuners, turntables and preamps too.

If you want the very best mains cable and the very best performance from your kit, in our opinion this is it.

And does nobody with £5,500 to spend on a mains cable pause to wonder what the MK socket in the wall is made from? And the T&E back to the consumer unit? And the underground cabling back to the substation?

Total snake oil.

So that's how they sidestep the fraud / advertising-claims questions; they suggest that it's impossible to disprove what they, personally and subjectively, think about the "improvement" in sound quality.
That's obviously what they are trying to achieve, but I'm not sure it gets them off the hook as regards some of their nonsensical quasi-scientific arguments/claims. If it were, that technique could be used to 'neutralise' any 'unjustified claims' for any product.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back