The Super Fuse

I have seen photographs sold for £1000's of pounds just because taken and printed by Ansel Adams and the buyer does not get the negative.

The same applies to paintings, and other art artefacts it is what people are willing to pay not what it is worth.

So he can charge what he wants it is after all art supplies I know it is crazy but more fool people for buying it.

Or is it a front for some other business? History tells us the sweet shop here in Mold sold very expensive sweets, but we all know it was a method of putting on a bet before it was made legal.

They could be resin filled fuses which give off a smoke which in turn aids you relax when listening to your favourite rock band?

Sponsored Links
So he can charge what he wants it is after all art supplies I know it is crazy but more fool people for buying it.
As I said before, I would always defend anyone's right to offer items (even 'useless' items) for sale at whatever crazy price they might choose, and to accept large sums of payment from anyone daft enough to buy at such prices.

What I don't think is acceptable (whether the product is cheap or very expensive) is to make incorrect or unjustified (hence potentially misleading) claims about the product on offer. That is, after all, why we have Trading Standards and Advertising Standards regulations and legislation.

Kind Regards, John

And does nobody with £5,500 to spend on a mains cable pause to wonder what the MK socket in the wall is made from? And the T&E back to the consumer unit? And the underground cabling back to the substation?

Total snake oil.

I'm afraid good ol' Russ has thought of it. Well, all of the bits the mug, sorry, customer is actually allowed to change anyway....

A standard MK socket treated with some"magic" stuff http://www.russandrews.com/product....&customer_id=PAA2006047115041GBDSQJTVKHXHPZXB

A cheap panel mount 13A socket mounted on a "magic" panel. These are the same 13A sockets used on rubber box style entertainment industry distro boxes, we sell them as a spare part for a fiver! http://www.russandrews.com/product....&customer_id=PAA2006047115041GBDSQJTVKHXHPZXB

Some "magic" cable for your ring final, single insulated so you have to provide your own conduit. I wonder what you'd write in the "type of wiring" box on a cert?
http://www.russandrews.com/product....&customer_id=PAA2006047115041GBDSQJTVKHXHPZXB

Finally, a "magic" CU as well, which looks remarkably like a standard Hager item...
http://www.russandrews.com/product....&customer_id=PAA2006047115041GBDSQJTVKHXHPZXB

With such carefully worded claims that don't actually claim anything, he should be a politician :p

I particularly have fallen in love with the
Star RF Router

Seemingly a block of wood with a number of (I assume) connected 4mm terminals on it. Seemingly for earth interconnections.
A bargain at £240.

I especially like this bit of the blurb

The latest (17th) edition of the IEE‘s Wiring Regulations state that you should now no longer add an additional earth rod to your domestic ring main earth. This is something which was previously allowed and many people have had an additional earth rod installed to improve their system‘s sound quality. :rolleyes:

EDIT, and you can buuy an earth rod from the little tinker too
click me, its only £21.50

Sponsored Links
I chuckled at "Please note: The installation of any mains circuit must be carried out by a competent electrician, holding Part P of the 17th Edition IEE Wiring Regulations (BS 7671)" :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Seemingly a block of wood with a number of (I assume) connected 4mm terminals on it. Seemingly for earth interconnections.

Yes but it's a £240 lump of wood you see, and that makes it special.... ;)

Actually, I assume it must have some capacitors in it so that it's not a direct path to earth for fault currents.

Some "magic" cable for your ring final, single insulated so you have to provide your own conduit.
Not necessarily - for £4.10 per metre, he'll sell you "RingMain Sheathing" to put it in - hardly an issue given that the cable costs £65.50 per metre :)

Kind Regards, John

True from the financial standpoint, but it could be argued that the performance of some designs of high power audio amplifier might actually be hindered by the higher impedance mains supply that such a small transformer (relative to the DNO transformer) would provide...
I'm thinking in particular of the hybrid designs with a tracking switchmode power supply and next to nothing in the way of reservoir capacitors.

True from the financial standpoint, but it could be argued that the performance of some designs of high power audio amplifier might actually be hindered by the higher impedance mains supply that such a small transformer (relative to the DNO transformer) would provide... I'm thinking in particular of the hybrid designs with a tracking switchmode power supply and next to nothing in the way of reservoir capacitors.
Hmmm - I think you're probably scraping the same barrel that he does. In any event, there are far far cheaper ways of getting a low impedance mains supply than by using his magic cable!

One thing I don't recall having been discussed here - I wonder if there is any possibility that he actually passionately believes everything he says about his products (and the 'theory' behind them)?

Kind Regards, John

From the CU above:

"If you're wiring a separate mains circuit for your Hi-Fi or Home Cinema, it makes sense to fit a new consumer unit in parallel with your existing consumer unit. If you know Russ's views about consumer units, you'll know that in the past he has advised customers to steer clear of Residual Current Device circuit breakers (RCDs) often fitted to them, as he felt that most of them compressed the dynamics. However, the new 17th Edition of the IEE wiring regulations now stipulate that they must be fitted in a new installation."

Luckily:

"In light of this, Russ has recently tested a quantity of the most modern, up-to-date consumer units fitted with RCDs. He found that their performance is now comparable to the older units without RCDs - he assumes it's because the design has been changed to make RCDs even safer, with the benefit of sounding better in a Hi-Fi installation. Of the units he tested, he's selected the very best performing one and we're offering it here fitted with the correct RCD and MCB circuit breaker for a single Hi-Fi or Home Cinema circuit, fully treating the contacts with DeoxIT for better performance."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back