Thermal cameras

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
To the guys who have thermal cameras (I know a few of you have them) would they be of any use finding a metal back box that's been plastered over? Thinking the metal might be slightly cooler than the plaster in a warm house.

If not, other than magnets or a metal detector, any other ideas to locate them?

Sponsored Links
Lump hammer, after telling the plaster boarder what hes done and what you are going to do to find it :LOL:

Unless its been decorated and about to be handed over then the forman might wish you to be more tactful :LOL:

It's something I come across when connecting a customer back to bt after they've been served by virgin for several years. The bt supply has been filled with mud and decorated over. I find most of them through methodical thinking ie asking neighbours where their supply comes in, tape measure, then cold chisel and hammer, but would like a more precise way that doesn't rely on other neighbours or guess work. There are cables in the box but they are often carrying no current.

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I've got one of them and agree with how useful they are though can be hit and miss if it's buried deep. thanks for the replies

I find an induction loop receiver (as used for testing hearing aid loops) useful, especially if you have a laptop which generates mains noise plugged into the same circuit.

An AM radio might also work.

Run it over the wall and you pick up the mains hum from the cables.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/231077145331

I got one from China/HK on Ebay for a tenner.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back