They deserve a........

A referendum result in favour of reinstating capital punishment would be ignored

what political mainstream party would fight a general election on that mandate ???

Sponsored Links
what political mainstream party would fight a general election on that mandate ???
Ignoring referendums? That would be stupid campaign mandate.

A referendum result in favour of reinstating capital punishment would be ignored
Why would a referendum result be ignored? What made you hallucinate that idea?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Do you think the Westminster Government will ever chance another referendum?
Yes, certainly, when the expected decision will agree with and support their agenda.
Given the recent Brexit referendum, it suited those conditions. Not even the Brexiteers expected to win.
And when they did, they had no idea what to do with it. They had no plan formulated. They had no agreed definition of what Brexit meant.
They only knew that "Brexit meant Brexit". (what else could it remotely mean? :rolleyes:)

I agree with transam, (I can't think where he gets his ideas from. Maybe he's taken to reading my posts at last :ROFLMAO:)
No political party would campaign for, or dare to run a referendum on the issue of capital punishment.
The reason is obvious, I suspect the referendum would result in a vote to restore capital punishment, but the majority of politicians would not support that.
So why bother running a referendum on an issue that you intend not to honour?
For no other reason it would provide your political opponents with the obvious "waste of public money" accusation.
If any government was foolhardy enough to run such a referendum, I would hope that they will explicitly reserve the right not invoke the result.

Putting people down as a form of punishment is a bit out dated.

capitol punishment
It's capital punishment. An easy mistake to make.
A simple rule to remember: "capitol" has only one meaning and refers to the seat of government (from Greek or Latin "caput" I think, I can't remember which, meaning head)
Capital refers to all the other meanings. (capital letters, capital city, capital wealth, capital punishment, etc.)

Polls taken around the UK have support for the reintroduction of capital punishment at around the 50% mark. The last poll according to Wikipedia had support at around 48%. As other posters have said though, to my mind capital punishment is simply state murder and anyone voting to reintroduce it would be complicit in that murder.

It's capital punishment. An easy mistake to make.
A simple rule to remember: "capitol" has only one meaning and refers to the seat of government (from Greek or Latin "caput" I think, I can't remember which, meaning head)
Capital refers to all the other meanings. (capital letters, capital city, capital wealth, capital punishment, etc.)

you sure

Sponsored Links
Back