They want to install Smartmeters

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

My electricity suppier tells me my meter is due to be replaced and would like to put in a smartmeter (free of charge as far as I can see!!). My house is a semi built about 1960. It has the original distribution board with (mostly) fusewire fuses. There is a trip module inserted for a recently installed electric shower. The 13 amp circuit in the house is standard 3 wire. The lighting circuit is only 2 wire but I'm told that it is OK provided the lighting fittings are class 2.
Will I be getting the third degree from the smartmeter installer about having the house re-wired? Over the 40 odd years I've lived in the property I've only had fuses blow a couple of times and these were faults caused by me!

Thanks

MIke

Sponsored Links
It's best to avoid smartmeters at the moment. Until next year.

They don't work if you switch supplier. And then they are more difficult to read than the old ones.

Sponsored Links
October 2018, some have already started - British Gas for example. This is why there is a push for Energy firms to get shot of old locked in stock before the deadline.

October 2018, some have already started - British Gas for example. This is why there is a push for Energy firms to get shot of old locked in stock before the deadline.
If by "get shot of", you mean install them in customer's premises (and then have to replace them), that would surely be an incredibly daft policy, wouldn't it?

Kind Regards, John

All this is immaterial to anyone who just doesn't want one - and at the moment doesn't have to have one.
Agreed.

Speaking personally, I certainly don't want one - not really because I significantly share some of the paranoia that is about (at least, not for very many years to come) but, rather, because it would offer me no advantages - I already have more comprehensive and useful energy monitoring than a smart meter would provide, and it is very rare for a meter reader to come here (they seem to trust my readings!).

The only difference for me would be that my supplier (E.ON) would currently offer me very slightly cheaper tariffs if I had a smart meter, but the difference is so small as to make little difference.

Kind Regards, John

I know the rate at which I am charged for gas and electricity units. I times the amount of units I have used by the unit rates and add on the daily standing charge -- I then know exactly how much I am due to pay the energy company.

Smart meters are great for those unable to give readings (elderly, disabled, etc.) but for me I don't see any genuine benefits of having one fitted. They're certainly not worth the mess of installing.

I know the rate at which I am charged for gas and electricity units. I times the amount of units I have used by the unit rates and add on the daily standing charge -- I then know exactly how much I am due to pay the energy company.
Quite so - and, as I said, I personally have far more detailed data on electricity usage than a smart meter would every provide, should I wish to take an interest in it.
Smart meters are great for those unable to give readings (elderly, disabled, etc.) but for me I don't see any genuine benefits of having one fitted. They're certainly not worth the mess of installing.
I would hope that there would not be much 'mess' but, as I've said, like you I would not derive any appreciable (if any) benefits. As for those unable to give readings, that is essentially the suppliers problem (i.e. they have to send a meter reader) - so a smart meter is still not of any benefit to the customer.

The ultimate possibility is, of course, for 'unit rates' to vary from hour-to-hour - which could, as some people fear, eventually result in significant rises in electricity costs for people with some patterns of usage.

Fears about differential rates for different appliances at different times of day (or even 'control' over which appliances were allowed to operate at particular times) are, in my opinion, many decades away (if they ever happen) since they rely on widespread deployment of 'smart appliances', and I'm not convinced that any yet even exist!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back