Thr Classic car show.

Restored many cars over the years, mainly Triumph and MG, my second car was a MK III Spitfire and that was the beginning of a lifelong love affair. Possibly the prettiest and most interesting car I restored was a 1962 Series II Sunbeam Alpine, picked this beauty up for £100 (those were the days) and probably spent about 3-4K on her. Shortly after that I was offered 8K but wasn't interested in selling at that time, prices had gone through the roof for various reasons but what goes up always comes crashing down so when I eventually let the old girl go she fetched 4.5K

View attachment 228740
An apprentice I went to college with had a V8 one of those. His dad owned the garage he worked in.

Sponsored Links
A Sunbeam Tiger.
On one of my breakers yard trips I saw a Cortina Savage, which was a V8 conversion, can't remember if it was a MK1 or MK2 Cortina.

Sponsored Links
A Sunbeam Tiger.
On one of my breakers yard trips I saw a Cortina Savage, which was a V8 conversion, can't remember if it was a MK1 or MK2 Cortina.
The Cortina Savages that I remember had the Essex engine, which was a V6, if I remember correctly. But a V8 would be even more savage :)

The Cortina Savages that I remember had the Essex engine, which was a V6, if I remember correctly. But a V8 would be even more savage :)

That would make sense actually, I had a Granada with the V6, I think it was the 3 litre but I'm not totally sure, it was a long time ago, but I remember that I always loved driving it, great car.

A Sunbeam Tiger.
When I was in South Africa in the very early eighties, they had V8 Capri's. In fact, they had a lot of the cars we had over here but only with bigger engines. They did a Vauxhall Viva with a 2.5 engine. Cortina 'Big Six' too - V6 of course!

Last edited:
When I was in South Africa in the very early eighties, they had V8 Capri's. In fact, they had a lot of the cars we had over here but only with bigger engines. They did a Vauxhall Viva with a 2.5 engine. Cortina 'Big Six' too - V6 of course!

Used to visit my aunt in SA and saw a few different versions of cars that we didn't get. They had a Ford P100 pickup (or bakkie in SA), which is based on the MK3 Cortina. Only P100s Ford sold in UK were Mk4s and Sierras.

https://www.carcavescotland.co.uk/classic-cars-stock/ford-cortina-p100-bakkie

And a Mk1 Granny Perana, with 5.0 V8. Could catch a few slags in that!! :cool:

https://www.tv2.no/a/3326372

Cortina 'Big Six' too - V6 of course!

If I remember rightly, this was based on the Mk4/5, and called the XR6 Interceptor - 3.0 V6.

Last edited:

the viva with the big engine was called a firenza, it had the slanted engine block, it gave birth to the chevette HS , a world class rally car!

the viva with the big engine was called a firenza, it had the slanted engine block, it gave birth to the chevette HS , a world class rally car!
I did my apprenticeship at Vauxhall’s. We had the Firenza when I was an apprentice. 1,800 and 2,300 engines in them. Wasn’t a very good seller - they had so many body shells left over that I remember them pumping them out as a 'Viva E'. Real poverty spec Viva's as I remember!

Sponsored Links
Back