Thread (String?) on end of radiator pipe.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I wonder if anyone can help with this.

I have a radiator pipe that goes into the radiator, but just before that it splits off to a short terminated end that I assume would have been connected elsewhere long ago... this small end of pipe has some straggly 'thread' hanging off it. Perhaps it wasn't removed at the time this end was disconnected.

As far as I can tell the 'thread' (which I think must be plumber's thread - from online pics it looks similar to Loctite 55 cord, maybe slightly thinner).

I want to leave it in situ - just in case, and for simplicity, but wanted to know if I can simply paint over it - simply to avoid little hands pulling it free? I can't find any mention of paint and plumbers thread anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated, many thanks!

Sponsored Links
Yes you can paint over it or cut it away with a new sharp blade.

50761433783_6336b5b09c_m.jpg

Hi Terryplumb, Thanks for your reply, here's the pic.

Sponsored Links
Just remove it. It is a drain point and was probably used to seal the gap when a hose was pushed on to it.

thanks, Denso13 for letting me know what it is! :) It actually looks like it might be partly painted (or bonded) on to the pipe already, so I guess the simplest thing would be to paint the straggly part round the pipe, assuming it's safe to paint as per Just pumps response above.

Having seen the small picture, if it is only on the ribbed drain off point then it doesn`t need to be there so remove it without fear.

Given it's a drain off point I wouldn't pile too much paint onto it otherwise it may become a pain to use in the future. It looks like a straggly piece of something, just pull it off or trim it, it'll be fine.

Thanks, Madrab - I may well trim...if painting, I'll use a tiny amount of paint, which seems to have happened to part of it anyway. Cheers!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back