Tiling advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice from you guys on tiling. Never done it before and need to tile the floor of both utility and w.c area. My builder said tile the W.C before he fits it.

Couple questions:

1. Where do I start in terms of layout I know normally you start from the centre of the room but here there is two rooms with a door seperating so where do I start the run?
2. Should I fit door linings and tile up to them or just tile to studwork and then fit door linings?
3. Should I tile completely wall behind the toilet? Bearing in mind there will be a toilet unit sitting there.
4. Dining room is going to have different flooring /tiles and it's not yet known what we are going to use. How should I finish where the doorway is leading to the dining room?

Thanks in advance!

3QhemX0.jpg

Sponsored Links
we’d need the measurements of both rooms . And the tiles. And the depths of the units in the utility and toilet.
personally i’d tile all the way to the wall under the vanity units and before fitting the door lining.

we’d need the measurements of both rooms . And the tiles. And the depths of the units in the utility and toilet.
personally i’d tile all the way to the wall under the vanity units and before fitting the door lining.

Morning!

Tiles are 300x600.
Overall area is 1500 x 2800mm approx
Sink/toilet measurements are below

C77173-SIZE-Stone-Grey-Combination-Vanity-Basin-and-Denver-Toilet-1000mm_1.png

Sponsored Links
what distance is the stud wall from the toilet window wall?
And are they 30” doors and how far is the utility door from each wall?
A drawing with all measurements is needed.
otherwise it’s not possible to lay it out with the guarantee of no daft small cuts in sight.

what distance is the stud wall from the toilet window wall?
And are they 30” doors and how far is the utility door from each wall?
A drawing with all measurements is needed.
otherwise it’s not possible to lay it out with the guarantee of no daft small cuts in sight.

Sure thing, will measure all of it and post a plan up later.

Doors are 30".

whats the prefference on which way they’re laid?
and the utility units are 600 depth already fitted?

Last edited by a moderator:
whats the prefference on which way they’re laid?
and the utility units are 600 depth already fitted?
I would imagine the right way would be the way the kitchen is laid, although the kitchen will be a different floor (still tiled) so as you look from the dining room into the utility they would run longways (vertical).

Units are not fitted yet nor white goods. there is a slight area where pipework comes out the floor in the utility on the external wall and in the corner but hopefully that shouldn't affect things.

0AB3EBD4-6DEA-4547-A961-D528BAFC5A12.jpeg

others may have a different idea.
cut the first row to 480 ish , assuming it’s a 138mm door liner.

Many thanks for that. I would probably lay them in a brick pattern, would you still start with 120mm cut off 1 and 3 in the first row?

Many thanks for that. I would probably lay them in a brick pattern, would you still start with 120mm cut off 1 and 3 in the first row?
Yes otherwise you’ll have small cuts in the doorway. lay several rows out first for yourself in case I missed anything.

Yes otherwise you’ll have small cuts in the doorway. lay several rows out first for yourself in case I missed anything.

Ok will dry lay first. When you say small cuts in the doorway do you meaning utility leading to dining room or W.C leading to utility?

Also, with those size tiles would you use 3mm spacers, or is it personal preference? I have 3mm but could get different ones.

With regards to the adhesive I had dunlop grey adhesive, I presume I need grey grout to go with this?

utility to dining room.
I prefer smaller grout lines . 2mm
Grey grout on the floor , white ends up looking dirty.

utility to dining room.
I prefer smaller grout lines . 2mm
Grey grout on the floor , white ends up looking dirty.

Totally agree with that, our previous bathroom grout lines looked horrible. I guess 3mm will be ok it's only 1mm difference and down to personal preference by the sounds of it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back