tiling to unfinshed wall?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Got a small stand-alone toilet room off the upstairs landing and the top coat plaster was all blown so taken it off back to the rough undercoat plaster

Can I tile direct to this, or do I need to skim a new coat of plaster on first?

If I dot/dab plasterboard instead can I tile direct to that or does it need plastering first?

Want to avoid plastering really, as I've never done it before!!!

Idid think I could use aquaboard instead of plasterboard to line the wall first and be able to tile direct to that but the instructions say it must be fixed to battens and I haven't got enough space to batten it first - it will end up too deep.

Any help appreciated

Sponsored Links
Tiling onto bonding/undercoat is not a good idea as the adhesive doesnt bond well to it.
You can dot and dab plasterbrd on though and tile directly onto it as you suggested.

Tiling onto bonding/undercoat is not a good idea as the adhesive doesnt bond well to it.

really??

I guess it depends on the adhesive. There are plenty of readymix adhesives on the market that are fine to use on bonding / undercoat. To be honest I would much rather tile onto a good undercoat than a smooth top-coat as it gives a better key - in fact, some adhesive manufacturers recommend NOT to tile direct to top coat plaster without wire-brushing it first.

Sponsored Links
I've already got BAL rapidset flexible for the floor and bathroom walls.

Would that be OK to use instead of Grip or Blue star?

If they are med tiles and as its only a wc I would use bal green star.trade price from my local topps is about £6.50
You could use the rapid flexi if you wanted though.

For that size tile use powdered adhesive.

PVA, I never use the stuff,I always go for acrylic primer,would probably be ok in a wc though.

And is it OK to use PVA to seal the walls first (1 to 3 mix?)
DO NOT use standard PVA on any tile base & it could prove a disaster in a wet area; if you need to prime use acrylic primer only. Powder adhesive for that size/weight tile, as stated.

If they are med tiles and as its only a wc I would use bal green star.trade price from my local topps is about £6.50

no offence here lancenotalot.. but i wouldnt even use green star.. not even on a kitchen splashback..its crap!!

DO NOT use standard PVA on any tile base & it could prove a disaster in a wet area; if you need to prime use acrylic primer only. Powder adhesive for that size/weight tile said:
OH!

Only just got to read this and I've already used the PVA! :(

Shall I overcoat it with an acrylic primer then? Only reason I haven't started tiling is because the tile cutter I bought is too small to accomodate the large format tiles!

Any suggestions for a tile cutter anyone? :rolleyes:

no offence here lancenotalot.. but i wouldnt even use green star.. not even on a kitchen splashback..its crap!!

Maybe your not using it right tic ;) Always found it ok in kitchens and wcs.

DO NOT use standard PVA on any tile base & it could prove a disaster in a wet area; if you need to prime use acrylic primer only. Powder adhesive for that size/weight tile, as stated.

Richard the op is only tiling a wc so not a wet area.

Wellerman,the reason PVA is not advised by the tilers on here is because it breaks down when wet,its bonding properties are good.
I never use it but I know some tilers that do,as it's a wc that your tiling I wouldn't worry but if you wanted to sand it off and the use an acrylic primer for piece of mind you could.

As for a tile cutter you might be best to hire one.

Richard the op is only tiling a wc so not a wet area.
Personally I would never use standard PVA anywhere on a tile base. The problem is that even in a dry area, the tile adhesive can re-emulsify the PVA giving adhesion problems & in some cases it can be difficult to get the tiles to grab & stay in one place. It can lengthen the whole tiling process considerably & if they move, the finished job can look a real mess. Probably be OK with cement based adhesive as it will eventually stick to almost anything but thems pretty big & heavy tiles. :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back