Time to reform electoral process ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Recent MP by-election showed very low turn out. What was it, 26% ? Australia voting system shows 90% plus turn outs because it is compulsory. Freedom of choice you may argue, but there is no such thing as absolute freedom. Too many low turnouts allow poor left and right wing candidates to be elected. Why not have a tick box that says no candidate. At least get a proper turn out. And fine those who don't vote, like Australia does. Fines used to contribute towards cost of the election. If your were to deny people the vote, they would certainly protest . The Electoral system is abysmal as it stands.

Sponsored Links
Our governing classes cannot be reformed! Con, lib and lab are the same on almost all matters, and on almost all matters they are at variance with the population.

Proportional Representation is much touted. In the 2015 general election UKIP got 4 million votes, which was as much as the SNP and the LibDems put together, but due to our rotten system UKIP got only one seat from this, whereas the SNP got 56 and the DimLebs 8. Had there been Proportional Representation UKIP would have got 81 seats.

However, I do not hold much hope for PR. If it came to pass in Britain, the same people would dominate the system, by hook or by crook I'm sure. There's no getting rid of them electorally. The only politics that works in Britain is violence. The IRA got their way through violence, as has Islam.

Last edited by a moderator:
Switzerland's "direct democracy" is held as a model. I don't know how it works exactly, but apparently the population votes on every major issue. They must be doing something right as they manage to stay out of wars, maintain a very high standard of living and keep unwanted immigration down.

Sponsored Links
Recent MP by-election showed very low turn out. What was it, 26% ? Australia voting system shows 90% plus turn outs because it is compulsory. Freedom of choice you may argue, but there is no such thing as absolute freedom. Too many low turnouts allow poor left and right wing candidates to be elected. Why not have a tick box that says no candidate. At least get a proper turn out. And fine those who don't vote, like Australia does. Fines used to contribute towards cost of the election. If your were to deny people the vote, they would certainly protest . The Electoral system is abysmal as it stands.

the low turn out has a lot to do with FPTP, the majority of people live in a constituency with a large majority -so effectively the voters have no say

If we had some form of PR, then parties that get a significant vote % like UKIP or Lib Dems would get a say in governance

I don't doubt there are many politicians in that game for all the right reasons. However, when it comes to ambitious politicians that want to lead, they usually have certain inherent traits ... many of them not good. It's the same with leaders in other organisations and businesses. So we end up with party leaders and a first tier that often leave a lot to be desired. However we're destined to always have those types in positions of power because so-called ordinary people with balanced traits often don't seek to be leaders.

On the electoral system, as others have touched on, there is no desire from the main parties to change it, at a basic level because they want to retain the power and close any possible doors for other parties to gain a foothold.

One thing I will say is, if you don't exercise your right to vote (for all the good you think it will or won't do) you shouldn't mump and moan about local/national government as you do have the opportunity and right to vote for/against parties.

Many people in other countries don't.

Forcing people to do something they don’t want to will work:eek:. The candidates are more abysmal than the system. They can take my vote and stick it where the sun don’t shine, at least until someone who deserves a vote turns up.

if you don't exercise your right to vote ... you shouldn't mump and moan

That is merely a cliche, and it doesn't make any logical sense.

If all the options on a ballot sheet are against your interests why must you vote for any of them? (It is always the case nowadays that all the options on offer are against my interests).

If any of the options on a ballot sheet have policies that you want implemented, but you know they will be ditched as soon as that party gets into power, why must you you vote for them? (Parties that promise crackdowns on crime and immigration never fulfil their promises).

That is merely a cliche, and it doesn't make any logical sense.

If all the options on a ballot sheet are against your interests why must you vote for any of them? (It is always the case nowadays that all the options on offer are against my interests).

If any of the options on a ballot sheet have policies that you want implemented, but you know they will be ditched as soon as that party gets into power, why must you you vote for them? (Parties that promise crackdowns on crime and immigration never fulfil their promises).
It's someone's right to moan of course, regardless of whether or not they engage with the process. I simply feel one shouldn't moan and groan to a great extent if one never engages in said process, because it's an opportunity to do so that many countries don't have. In the case of politics and elections, there are options around a protest vote etc to make your point, albeit in an anonymous and maybe not very effectual way.

Let's be honest, whilst your point is valid i.e. some feel no party ticks the right boxes for them so they don't vote, there are also many that just can't be ar5ed. I'm not getting into the rights and wrongs of that (voter apathy etc) however for some it's not that no party suits them, it's that they can't be ar5ed to check out party websites, manifestos etc and make a semi-informed choice at the ballot box. They simply can't be bothered.

I get your points and don't disagree to a large extent, too much to type in reply, but at a basic level I do feel more people should make the effort to vote, hard fought for freedoms and all that.

I'm following what's happening in Canada and France. Events in those countries are more relevant to our democracy and freedom than events Russia and Ukraine. In Canada truck drivers are blockading the streets with their trucks in protest against the government. Today, that government has given the police the authority to "end" the blockade. Let's see what happens; trucks will be more difficult to move than extinction rebellion protesters.

A copycat event is happening in France; "freedom convoys" are heading for Paris. This and the Canadian protests are not being featured prominently in British news; British news being largely in the pocket of the British government.

I'm following what's happening in Canada and France. Events in those countries are more relevant to our democracy and freedom

yes, a small number of antivaxxer extremists are trying to damage the health of the nation by pushing their false stories and abusing health professionals and citizens needing to have protection against a potentially severe or fatal illness.

What led you to prefer the option giving the greatest risk of severe illness or death?

yes, a small number of antivaxxer extremists are trying to damage the health of the nation by pushing their false stories and abusing health professionals and citizens needing to have protection against a potentially severe or fatal illness.

What led you to prefer the option giving the greatest risk of severe illness or death?
You are truly are an ignorant rabid jabber incapable of individual thought!

The truth is now coming out and you along with your ignorant cohorts will be exposed...

Apparently given the latest news you'll need a Lassa jab soon...

Where is your experimental jab limit set?

Sponsored Links
Back