to magnaclean or to not magnaclean, that is the question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Some say yes, some say no...

Was told on a new system (full copper piping), that after a flush and use of inhibitor, that a magnaclean is not really necessry...

I think, for the sake of £80ish, you may as well have one...

Whats the general recommendaiton, yay, or nay???

Sponsored Links
Fitting one will not do any harm.

But if its not necessary because the system is already clean then why bother. They are a very useful dosing access though.

£80 is only the cost to buy so we would be charging about £150 to supply/fit one to an existing system and about £120 to supply/fit when doing other work.

Tony

Fitting one will not do any harm.

£80 is only the cost to buy so we would be charging about £150 to supply/fit one to an existing system and about £120 to supply/fit when doing other work.

Tony

That's cheap, I paid a lot more when having my boiler fitted - included VAT though.

Thats what the clients pay. I dont think its cheap, just reasonable!

Its often a con though because those fiting them with a new boiler are using them as an excuse for not cleaning or inhibiting the system.

So they charge extra for the Magnaclean and save both time and money by not treating the system.

If the system is fully cleaned they are not required.

With large old systems with old rads, even power flushing will not get everything out. In that case a gauze filter ( at £10 ) or a Magnaclean is often advisable on a combi with a plate heat exchanger.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Agile wrote

Its often a con though because those fiting them with a new boiler are using them as an excuse for not cleaning or inhibiting the system.

So they charge extra for the Magnaclean and save both time and money by not treating the system.

If the system is fully cleaned they are not required.

With large old systems with old rads, even power flushing will not get everything out. In that case a gauze filter ( at £10 ) or a Magnaclean is often advisable on a combi with a plate heat exchanger

I see Tony tarring other installers for no reason at all,we will charge the cost of magna clean around £76 inclusive of VAT trade and not a penny more with a new install,because all pipes have to be cut anyway so not massive issue installing one.

Nothing what so ever to do with not cleaning the system as he so sneakily said (like him and his company are the only people around who will do the job properly}
we advise the customer purely for the future if the system is old and any debris is created it will not damage the boiler,this will not only effect the heat exchanger but can damage other waterways in the diverter valve rubber seals etc
It is an extra bit of protection for your system and will last alot longer then the boiler because there are no moving parts inside so once bought its fit and forget item,with no ongoing costs
I will fit a magnaclean for anyone in london area for £140 all inclusive of vat

If tony can do sneaky advertising then we should all do the same

I`ll go to Kent and do one for £135 ;) Promise me I don`t have to be Gas Safe registered to do it .

I am saying this through gritted teeth but i tend to agree with agile here , too many installers and BG sell it on a fear basis telling the customer they must have it or there system will fall apart without it.

Happyplumber.
You on the other hand sound like one of the few honest guys out there who explain exactly what it does, doesnt make it sound like it is a job and a half to install it and use it as a cash generator. Shame there was not more like you

yes and there are thousands of hardworking installers and repair men all over this country,you will notice not many come on here slagging off other installers with attitude look at me how good i am !

The trouble is he actually believes his own publicity. :rolleyes:

Feeling even more hard done by and ripped off now :( I paid £171 for a magnaclean to be fitted during boiler installation.

I do have to say that does seem a bit expensive but it has to be considered in the context of the cost of the total installation.

As you can see because I am willing to say exactly what we would charge in an effort to be helpful, that does seem to encourage some heckling. Mostly from people who hide their identity.

Regardless, charging for a Magnaclean and then not properly cleaning the system is really a total no-no.

If I fit one I arrange to stop by a couple of weeks later to check it and show the customer how to do it again. I need to cover ongoing customer care within our installation charge. Many installers are gone for good once they get paid!

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back